MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LBC SUCKS BUTT!!
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone might have an idea as to what it might be :(

Started to hear a very slight tapping noise from the engine when I start it up in the morning, which seems to go once the engine is slightly warmed up. I've checked the oil which seems fine and it's booked in at the dealers under warranty to be looked at but I was hoping someone on M2 might be able to diagnose the problem just in case my dealer can't (I don't have much fath in them as you can tell).

TIA

·
LBC SUCKS BUTT!!
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil is dark brown (1st inspection is due and car is going in for that + tapping noise), level is OK. The tapping noise is more of a 'something is a bit loose' sort of noise and I heard it even when the engine was nice and warm today.

·
Obsessive Car Cleaner OCC
3,342 Posts
Ive had a tapping noise like this for ages, the dealers replaced the pulley tensioner and belt and it was ok for a day and it came back, there i a few threads about this on hear and i have just learned to live with it.

The other day i took my M7 AGS filter off and put the stock one back on, when i took it off i had a coolant leak wjich is now fixed, also when i topped up the coolant i had the engine running (was cold) and with the top off the coolant bottle i could hear this tapping, soon as i screwd the cap back on it stopped.

When i bled the system with the bleed screw open i could also hear the tapping, with it closed it went straight away.

The leak is now fixed and i cant hear anything. This was a minor leak by the way.

Scott

·
LBC SUCKS BUTT!!
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Scott, I'll mention it to the dealer and see what they say.

·
LBC SUCKS BUTT!!
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealership said the only noise they could find was the heat shield near the exhaust touching it as there was a bolt missing. I haven't heard the noise since so I'm assuming all is well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts