MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me of a good product for removing tar spots from the paint work as they are really noticable on the chilli red paint. Not only that but the car is going in to a show this year and I want it to look it's best for the admiring public.:(

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
We should get a sponsership deal with AUTOGLYM :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Another slightly cruder, cheaper option is an old duster with a little bit of WD40 on it - it is a bit slower at dissolving the tar than the Autoglym but gets there in the end. I'd wash the area as soon as the tar spot is dissolved though.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I tried Autoglym and was not impressed at all. 10 times quicker and cheaper is to use petrol. One dab will nearly clean the whole car of tar spots. You can use paraffin too if you don't have any petrol. Have you ever spilt petrol on a tarmac drive? Yes, it will even dissolve your drive for you too. I can't see why Autoglym Tar remover is so expensive and poor at doing the job.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I used autoglym tar remover yesterday all round my MINI ( roadworks on the road where I live!! ) and it worked a trear

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
AV51HCC said:
what exactly is a tar spot? are they the tiny dots i can't get off my alloys?
No that is corrosion from the brake dust, known as 'pitting' I think.

Tar spots are little black dots on your paintwork

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tar Removal

Most commercial tar removers are just kerosene with a bit of perfume to mask the scent. Best advantage or kerosene is that when it runs down into the nooks and crannies it drives out the water and may help prevent rust. The local firedepartment swears by the stuff. Wasn't it the Beatles that had that in a song?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Knew this thread was somewhere around here.

I polished mine at the weekend (Autoglym Super Resin), and topped it off with the Autoglym High Gloss. I wasn't looking to remove the tar spots, but the high gloss stuff shifted them anyway. Just clean and polish the car as normal, apply high gloss over the newly polished surface, go back 30 to 60 seconds later (by which point the spots will appear to have run) and reapply high gloss / lightly rub the tar spots. They'll disappear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two days ago my 2 week old, Solid Black Cooper was driven at high speed (by a third party who shall remain nameless) through a large slick of fresh, bright yellow emulsion paint. Both plastic and paintwork were pretty much splattered.

After some experimentation Autoglym Tar Spot remover effectively shifted the stuff from both surfaces, and their Bumper Care restored the colour to the plastic, which was substantially discoloured (presumably by the petroleum content in the Tar Spot remover).

...which was a relief!

Hamish

·
Registered
440 Posts
I find autoglym super resin followed by extra gloss brings my chili red paint back like new every time. Really polish the paint with the super resin till the tar spots come off.... then when you've removed all the polish apply the extra gloss, let it cure for an hour, then polish off to the most beautiful wet look shine! chili red polishes up soooooo nice. I only hope the pure silver on my ordered mcc will polish up as nice!

ps, super resin is also really good for getting those really stuborn insect remains off the front reg plate and bumper!

·
220 of your finest horses
3,009 Posts
Is Liquid Yellow worse

Than other colours - my front an drear bumpers look like they've had a bad case of tar acne, as do my side skirts and doors :(

S:yeblack:

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
I tried clay bar and Meguiars Tar remover yesterday - neither of them worked...........:(

I'm thinking of the petrol method I must admit...........:eek:

·
220 of your finest horses
3,009 Posts
Not happy

Just spent £9.99 on the Autoglym super dooper tar remover - still have tar spots :confused:

Maybe I didn't use enough? Should I soak the car in the stuff?

·
Overboosting.....
3,392 Posts
AidenL said:
I tried clay bar and Meguiars Tar remover yesterday - neither of them worked...........:(

I'm thinking of the petrol method I must admit...........:eek:
Really i'm amazed, clay bar gets all the tar off my car with real ease.

Don't think I could put petrol on my paintwork :eek:

·
Ninja
1,750 Posts
May I suggest when you use specific solvents/chemicals for the removal of tar and road film that you wax your car afterwards.

·
Ninja
1,750 Posts
s_and_m said:
Just spent £9.99 on the Autoglym super dooper tar remover - still have tar spots :confused:

Maybe I didn't use enough? Should I soak the car in the stuff?

Not recommended....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts