MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Jmacmini
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oct. 4 2008 Tech Day aka; Pulley Party III, at Amherst, NH, 8 AM to late afternoon.
This is the third annual time we have had a Tech Day dating back to 2006 and 2007.
Doing the wrenching in the shop space is Pete E. master of the pulley change, Sway bar, CAI, bypass, and other after market mods, and fluids. Line up your parts. Make your Mini Happy ;)
Drop us a note reply to thread to discuss needs, and upgrades, ahead of time so we can allocate the time slots.
Coffee is on at 8 AM, .... no need for updates or mods, then your welcome to drop by and talk shop. or wash and wax your baby. :p, or take a short ride and pick apples.
Hot Dog lunch at 11 AM. Bring something to share if you like.
Need directions e-mail JmacMini @ [email protected]

·
drive it like i stole it
837 Posts
if anyone has any questions, feel free to pm, post or call me if you like. Hope we see you there, if not for mods, to just hang out and visit!:D

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
What's the word on bypass valves..? Are they good bang for the buck..? Pros vs cons..?
I'm thinking it's time for another mod and this seems like a popular one.

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
I knew I was special! I ride the short bus!
You mean you don't like it..? Why not..?
I've read that it makes the car more responsive to the point where it can be jerky. Is that a common complaint?
What are my other options..? I've got a 15% pulley, a Webb intake, the JCW exhaust... I still get the bogging down when pulling away and I thought that the bypass valve might help that. Does anyone have any other suggestions..?

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts

·
Lightweight
410 Posts
I'll try to explain. I started with the JCW engine kit. With the valve installed, I felt the car bogged down in 2nd gear unless I was really really really on it. The mod was probably a mistake for me, since I thought my car pulled away from standing well to begin with, and I didn't have any throttle response issues. There's another guy in PA (geowit) with an older MCS who had the same opinion as I did. Not sure what mods he has, but he got his DT BPV because his stock one failed completely. He also felt the car bogged down a little bit. Then again, out of all the people who bought one through the Mass Motoring group buy, I'm the only one to do a reverse bypass. So, YMMV.

btw, the minimania one doesn't appear to be a modified valve. Just a new stock one. DT supposedly replaces the spring and adjusts the valve to ensure it completely closes and doesn't have any leaks around the edge.

·
Rabid Motorer
2,235 Posts
What's the word on bypass valves..? Are they good bang for the buck..? Pros vs cons..?
I'm thinking it's time for another mod and this seems like a popular one.
they are, I would say 99% of people love them. Definitely a good bang for the buck.
Hated mine. It's back in the box. On my '06, it gave horrible surging, abrupt throttle response, and generally made it unpleasant to drive. If anyone wants it, drop me a line.

·
Rabid Motorer
2,235 Posts
out of all the people who bought one through the Mass Motoring group buy, I'm the only one to do a reverse bypass
Nope, not the only one. :D I've just been uncharacteristically quiet on my displeasure with it. Until now, that is. Muahahahahaha! :tongue:

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
Just a new stock one. DT supposedly replaces the spring and adjusts the valve to ensure it completely closes and doesn't have any leaks around the edge.
I thought it looked like the MiniMania one said they made sure it closed completely. It was kind of unclear whether they'd changed anything though, or if it was just a new stock one to replace a tired stock one....

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
Brian,
I'll email you...!

·
drive it like i stole it
837 Posts
I agree about the surge and the abrupt throttle, but to me the gain was worth those things, I'm pretty laid back about my car though. I really enjoy the throttle response being much better. Did you sell yours yet Brian?

·
drive it like i stole it
837 Posts
Gav, if you haven't done it, you may want to think about a new set of plugs, I just did mine and the car runs a lot better. 58k on the stock plugs.

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
Brian might be selling his soon... ;)
I did buy new plugs - the Denso Iridium ones but shortly after I put them in, MOP scared me off with stories of them blowing out and causing a lot of $$$ worth of damage, so they put a new set of stock ones in. The car is coming up on 58K miles, and I can't remember when I did the plug swap and back, but maybe I'll put the aftermarket ones back in... Doesn't the JCW use uprated NGK ones..?
What plugs would you suggest Pete?

·
Jmacmini
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree about the surge and the abrupt throttle, but to me the gain was worth those things, I'm pretty laid back about my car though. I really enjoy the throttle response being much better. Did you sell yours yet Brian?
The " Jim Willis " bypass valve just put in the '04 MCS is a big step up over stock. The stock bypass had clearance all the way around the butterfly, and spring was weak.
The new valve has got the snap back and the throttle. The surging is minimal on the 04.
I'm OK with the mod.;)

·
gadgetmeister
6,220 Posts
Is there anything in all the ignition mods..? New coil, bigger wires, different plugs...?
Isn't a spark, a spark? With all that fuel and air compressed in the cylinder, how big a spark do you need to set it all off..???

·
drive it like i stole it
837 Posts
I just put a set of NGK irridiums in, also added a drop of loc-tite so they wouldn't loosen and blow out. I checked them this week, and they haven't loosend, still 22 ft. lbs. Honestly I'm not sure if the JCW uses different ones, I'll have to look into that.

I like hearing when folks didn't like the mods, it's a lot better to know what to expect, good and bad. Until now, I thought it was only Adam and Steve that didn't like it.

·
drive it like i stole it
837 Posts
I've read a bit on the screamin demon coil and wire set up, and a few people have used it. from what they've said, it Didn't live up to the expectations set forth by the company. Unless you have a need to replace the coil or wires, to me it's probably not worth doing.

·
drive it like i stole it
837 Posts
The " Jim Willis " bypass valve just put in the '04 MCS is a big step up over stock. The stock bypass had clearance all the way around the butterfly, and spring was weak.
The new valve has got the snap back and the throttle. The surging is minimal on the 04.
I'm OK with the mod.;)
That is a nice valve, heavier spring and from what John said it was a bit cheaper than the D.T. Bypass.

·
drive it like i stole it
837 Posts
OK, So anyone else attending? You don't have to have mods or anything done for that matter, just come up and hang out with the mini folk !!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts