MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will test your knowledge of this engine. It's a bit of a saga I'm afraid.

My 2009 cooper diesel started one very cold morning (-5) and ran like a bag of spanners. Cutting out, no power when running, really struggling to rev at all.

Got the car taken to our local indi and this is the sequence of work carried out ....so far!

1. Changed fuel filter
2. Checked injectors and no1 showing very low fuel delivery
3. Removed and refurbished injectors

No the car won't start and with better diagnostics identified the fuel pump isn't working.

4. New fuel pump fitted. Signs that the old bearings have disintegrated and possibly contaminated the injectors again. :(
5. New water pump and timing belt also fitted as pump showing signs of being on the way out and timing belt contaminated. Fair enough.
6. Fuel tank cleaned as traces of water found in fuel and all fuel drained from system.

When all put back together no1 injector still showing low but better than before.

7. Swapped injectors 1 and 2 which identified fault with the injector not the wiring etc.

Car tested and drove fine for a short time then went into what I assume is limp mode, no power and will not rev over 3000 rpm.

So this is where we are at the moment. My thoughts are possibly the engine management system doesn't like the injector swap! Or possibly the dpf causing an issue as the car is only ever used for short journeys and never gets a good blast to regenerate it.

Sorry for the long story but I would appreciate your expert opinion in what to do next. Take it to a mini dealer?

Cheers:)

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
It might be the EGR valve but theres so many sensors on a modern car and only one has to act up to cause all manner of faults
Assume the local garage has already plugged it into the diagnostics machine to see what codes if any are coming up?
It could take ages to track down using a hit and miss approach though

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The egr fault code has come up. Funnily tho there have been no warning lights activated at any point during this saga.

How does the egr affect the limp mode?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts