1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this Type-R bashing ?

Really ?

Why ?

I can`t leave some of you on your own for five minutes . . Basil ?

And after all Honda did for Rover too !

Don`t some of you MINI types here appreciate exquisite engineering ?

When the MINI loses it`s `they`re looking at me` novelty value, the S had better be bloody excellent and the right price !

And of course every S should be forced to have it`s teeny twin exhaust pipes surgically removed along with it`s fake filler cap (door).

Why should such suspect `enhancement features` be forced on us like this ?

BMW . . . . NO ! . . . give it one bigger central pipe - and ditch the door !

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Jakx said:

Really ?

Why ?

When the MINI loses it`s `they`re looking at me` novelty value, the S had better be bloody excellent and the right price !

And of course every S should be forced to have it`s teeny twin exhaust pipes surgically removed along with it`s fake filler cap (door).

Possible reason for twin exhausts, given central placement, is the "cat's arse factor" - Have a look at a Boxster rear-end to reinforce the point:eek:

Agree the filler cap is rather embarrassing - Maybe they could offer an upgrade to a real chrome cap for ...ooh 50 quid:rolleyes:

I'd pay it for authenticity's sake:(

·
Indecisive MINI Owner
473 Posts
Do you really think this little bit of copper pipe sticking out the back of a Civic Type R looks better than the polished tail of the S's centre exit beauty?

I don't.

... and apologies for the large image - It's straight from the Civic website.

:)

·
Loves Leecey
4,758 Posts
And both the tailpipes either from Honda as from the Cooper S are FAKE!
The two chromed pieces you see from the S are just chromed caps, tightened with bolts to the orginal smaller pipe, just like you can see with the Type-R exhaust.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Jakx said:

Really ?

Why ?

Needed some light relief from all the MINI bashing Jakx.

There was means to my madness.....

cheers

·
Indecisive MINI Owner
473 Posts
OnlyS4me said:
The two chromed pieces you see from the S are just chromed caps, tightened with bolts to the orginal smaller pipe, just like you can see with the Type-R exhaust.
Oh yeah, I know they're fake, but as Jakx was comparing aesthetic looks on the cars, I did too.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
OnlyS4me said:
Et voila

Attachments

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
Jakx said:

Really ?

Why ?

I don't think that many of us are "bashing" the Civic Type R Jakx. It is a very nice and desirable car and I would have seriously considered one if it wasn't for the MINI.

However the MINI has one thing that the Civic doesn't - soul and character. OK, this might sound a bit sad - cue furry hooded anorak.

I've owned 2 Civics in the past - both VTis. They have been easy to drive and totally reliable, but a bit boring. One old grandad said that he liked my Mondeo when I was sitting in my 4dr VTi! The problem is that the Civic looks just like any other euro/jap box. Compare the latest Toyota Corolla with the Civic and you'll see what I mean.

The MINI is definitely the best car that I have ever owned. The Civics have been the best engines that I have ever owned.

As for the small exhausts - size does not matter (ahem!) :D
But what about your S2000 - would you not say that the engine start button is a bit gimmicky - I'd swap them for a set of deadlocks....

·
Indecisive MINI Owner
473 Posts
Re: Re: teeny weeny twin exhaust pipes . . . and other dodgy features

dietcokeplease said:

I don't think that many of us are "bashing" the Civic Type R Jakx. It is a very nice and desirable car and I would have seriously considered one if it wasn't for the MINI.
I agree, it's not bashing, just opinions, and lets remember that this is Mini2.com not Civic2.com, so when someone likes a MINI rival, there's gonna be some comments.

·
Registered
261 Posts
BAH!! Hondas = No soul! I agree, great engines, marvelous engines; Still, no soul! :p

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
soul ?

Aha ! Soul ?

Just what is this certain thing called "soul" ?

What cars have it, which don`t - and why ?

Modern Honda engines have real soul, but does the MINI`s ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ok, I'll have a go at this. The MINI has soul because it was desgned as an enjoyable car, first and foremost. All MINI's and Mini's were created out of the mind-set that a car is only truly useful, if the owner enjoys using it. MINI's (by MINI's, I mean new and old) have been purpose-built with this in mind. The MINI may not, ultimately, produce the numbers (performance testing) that the Civic type R will, on a good day, but I feel that a great deal of thought has gone into the car to make it more appealing to those that care less about the hard numbers than those that enjoy being seen in a MINI.
Ok, that may have been a half-a$$ed attempt, but I think there is a point in there somewhere.
Let the festivities begin! :rolleyes: :cool:

·
Registered
261 Posts
SOUL!

U2 or The Back Street Boys

Ducati's or Kawasaki's

BMW's or Lexus'

Kung Fu or Wrestling

MINI Cooper S or Honda Civic Type R

Soul or no Soul

:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
Honda Honda Honda

Awwwww Jakx, maybe I'm going soft but we are being a bit hard on Hondas/Civic Type Rs. We know you love your S2000. We should get together and persuade Honda and MINI to make babies and et voila! - a MINI Cooper Type R!

Imagine that - a Cooper S (with soul ;) ), a Honda VTEC engine and legendary Honda build quality. Motoring Nirvana?!

·
Indecisive MINI Owner
473 Posts
Re: Honda Honda Honda

dietcokeplease said:
Awwwww Jakx, maybe I'm going soft but we are being a bit hard on Hondas/Civic Type Rs. We know you love your S2000. We should get together and persuade Honda and MINI to make babies and et voila! - a MINI Cooper Type R!

Imagine that - a Cooper S (with soul ;) ), a Honda VTEC engine and legendary Honda build quality. Motoring Nirvana?!
As long as it had the MINI badge. I don't want gardeners to be able to say "Look, we drive the same make vehicles"

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Eh ?

JonBlakeburn said:

As long as it had the MINI badge. I don't want gardeners to be able to say "Look, we drive the same make vehicles"

Or JB, mine`s similar to that Neon`s lump over there!

Or, wealthy buggers with tasty new SL`s saying such things as "See Boris, our badges adorn most useful trucks and buses too !"

But, come on . . . I didn`t start this Civic Type-R v MINI Cooper S business, but - you`ll get Honda badges also on some of the best `bikes in the World, on the track, and in the sky.

Exhausts? Look, I know what goes on beneath cars in the piping back-end department - it`s just that I thought that the S`s twin pipes look too small, and that`s all !

And the fancy alloy fuel "cap" is a fake, and bodged, flap - the S simply deserves better.

I want the S to be a great and "pure" rival to the Civic Type-R !

At the right price !

(As for the S2000`s start button, dcp, it`s very nice thank you very much, about as direct as the gear-change and perfectly in keeping with the car`s soul!)

And try not to forget the NSX.

Yes . . . I have a Honda mower - it`s very red and very good !

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Spoolin' said:
SOUL!

U2 or The Back Street Boys

Ducati's or Kawasaki's

BMW's or Lexus'

Kung Fu or Wrestling

MINI Cooper S or Honda Civic Type R
0-60 in: 6.9 secs or 6.3secs

Top Speed: 135MPH or 146MPH