MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all .

04 plate Mini one , intermittently when driving , temp gauge goes instantly to maximum , with warning light on , and cooling fans run at maximum speed . If I stop and turn ignition off , then immediately back on , gauge returns to normal and car drives fine again . Only fault present in engine ecu memory is " transmission temperature too high" , or words to that effect ! Puzzles me because the car is a manual , do these gearboxes have a temp sensor on them???
p.s -measured engine temp with external sensor , running at 95 c when gauge indicates overheat , and coolant level is fine

·
Registered
7 Posts
temp guage maxing out

I have a similar problem- my temp gauge maxes out the instant I turn the key on, even when the engine is stone cold . The fans run, and continue to run until I shut the key off, when they will turn off after a few minutes. The code reader reports P0118- temp circuit high input, but again, the engine will be cold as a stone. I've reset the ECU, disconnected the battery, even disconnected the ECU...nothing changes. All the other gauges work normally. Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I forgot to add...

I also disconnected the temp sender, checked for voltage at the sender (4.5v), and ground (present). It seems clear to me that I've either got 1) a short somewhere, or b) a duff ECU. Any thunks?
2003 MC manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Eureka!

After a few frustrating days, I finally discovered two important things regarding my maxed out temp gauge: a) the metal contacts inside the connector were not making contact with the coolant temp sensor. On every other car I've worked on, that results in a "dead" gauge. (a short to ground would mean a max reading) 2) However, on the MC, the sensor is an inverse thermistor, which means that no signal is read by the ECU as max temp. OBD code PO118. Thus, no contact= maxed gauge/short to ground= temp too low, PO117.
I squished the contacts a little tighter, shoved the connector back onto the sensor insuring a good contact, and voila! (that is French!) All is happy in MINI land again. Hope that helped any frustrated gearheads out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts