MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just now and again, I can start the car from cold and the temp gauge goes to max along with the temp warning. You can also hear the fan going too.

Could this be a faulty temp sensor, the car is a 2006 Cooper S. Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,316 Posts
The gauge is only really a guide.
You should be able to see the actual telmps by doing this, it is one of the Hidden Codes:

Display Actual Coolant Temp
1. With the key in the ignition, but in the off position, press and hold down the odometer reset button with one hand.
2. While holding the button down, switch the key in the ignition to position 1 (first click) with the other hand. The screen will have a number and the word “TEST”.
3. Scroll through the numbers by pressing the odometer rest button, through to 19 and wait a moment. (Note: the number order is: 1, 2, 10, 19)
4. The message will say 19 "L i-off", flash to "L i-on", and back to "L i-off" again. When "log i-off" appears, press the odometer rest button again.
5. You are now in the system.
6. Scroll through to 7.0 Actual coolant temp.
7. Start the engine and go for a drive and you will see the temp fluctuation as the thermostat opens and closes. Your thermostat should start to open at around 90ºC (195 ºF)
The High Speed Fan should cut in at around 110ºC (230 ºF).

BUT ........ Not sure where this picks up its readings. May be from sensor, maybe not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.