MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, I'm lucky enough to get a chance to put a US-spec Cooper S through its paces this coming Friday! :D So post any questions you want me to investigate, but be sure to get them in before Friday. I'll post my responses and other impressions Friday night.

·
Registered
785 Posts
2nd GEAR!

Several, in order of importance:

1)PLEASE find out what speed the Cooper S will hit at the redline in second gear. This will be extremely helpful for autocrossers like myself and several others on this forum.
If you're not allowed to redline it, give us your most acurate guess.

2)From a rolling start (clutch fully released in gear) stand on the gas all the way, does it break the front loose very easily (my guess is YES).

3)Find a way to weigh it, take note of the gas, driver, and options

4)Borrow a G-Tech from someone and do your own 0-60 times and instantaneous G's (I know this is a stretch).

THANKS A BUNCH!!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
As I am sure I'll be very happy to hear any feedback that you will have from your testdrive, there are a couple of things that I would very much appreciate your review on (I am sure the boardmembers as well! :) ) I'll just list them out... :D

- steering feel/response
- handling, feeling of understeer or oversteer on high speed turns?
- suspension... too hard, just right?
- seating comfort during spirited driving
- mid range power (will you have to shift down frequently, etc.?)

I am jealous that you get to drive one... pretty sure you will have an ear to ear grin :D Don't worry about it if you don't note all the points above. Anything you report back to us will be appreciated. thanks!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
KarmanS said:
- steering feel/response
- handling, feeling of understeer or oversteer on high speed turns?
- suspension... too hard, just right?
- seating comfort during spirited driving
- mid range power (will you have to shift down frequently, etc.?)
These notes plus a few others:

- if you can, find out if the 5-star 16" wheels will be available
- note the packages and stand-alone options on the car
- clutch and gearbox feel, ratios.....just right??
- sound of the engine and exhaust :D

Thanks a bunch!!

·
MINI2 Sponsor & Moderator
231 Posts
You lucky *******. Oh well, someone has to do the dirty work.. At cruising speed, say 70-mph listen for road noise coming through the body and around door seals. Describe the feel of the clutch, and shifter. Try to screw the seats up to see if they fixed the design. Note the overall fit and finish, etc... Then ENJOY!!! :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
things I want to know

1. Noise levels both the road and engine noise. I drove a Swiss spec cooper and it was quite noisy, not acceptable for my commute.

2. Will the mirror adjustments and seat heater be in the center console behind the gear shift?

3. What does the engine sound like. Take a recording if you can.

4. See if the seat recliner handle is revised

5. If it is cloth or leatherette seats, please take some pictures of them.

I guess that is all for now.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
301 Posts
Crawl under the car and see how the clearance looks. I'm sure no one else in the world needs to know what the ground clearance is, but I do. Sometimes I can't believe I've put money down on a car I don't even know will make it up my rutted driveway and down my dirt road. :D
DeniseK

·
Registered
97 Posts
Could you do a quick air-freshener test for me cos i want to know if the magic-tree in my Cooper will fit in the 'S'. It's currently hanging from the rear-view mirror and i'm worried that when combined with the extra bulge in the bonnet, i won't be able to see where i'm going.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
does it pull well out of corners and does the supercharger whine ??:D :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thank you for your generous offer to answer questions. In addition to the other questions asked, I'm currious to know how rough the ride is on the stiff suspension and big wheels. Are the big wheels a good match with the sport suspension? Thanks

15th on a list for an S. Fortunately (unfortunately) it gives me lots of time to make decissions.

·
Registered
783 Posts
How does it pull from low rpm's? Is it flexible enough that you could drive around town at 2000rpm, and rely on torque for cut and thrust in traffic?
Is the engine rough near redline?
Does it handle like a go-kart (Where can you find a 2700lb go-kart for comparison . . .)?
When I sat in a Cooper, I couldn't see anything forward of the base of the windshield; how does that affect maneuvering in traffic, parking, etc.?

·
Registered
930 Posts
RickB said:
(Where can you find a 2700lb go-kart for comparison . . .)?
How about a 2800lb go-kart? :p :D See my sig

·
Registered
783 Posts
That S2000 has about the same torque figures as the last go-kart I drove . . .

·
Registered
906 Posts
Left pull

Can you have a good test of the steering to see if it pulls to the left? If possible can you get a picture of the front suspension stuts/springs/ bottom spring pads?

Good Luck!:)

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Re: Left pull

Apial said:
Can you have a good test of the steering to see if it pulls to the left? If possible can you get a picture of the front suspension stuts/springs/ bottom spring pads?

Good Luck!:)
That's quite a daring request:p

When the dealer ask "Why are you driving on the wrong side on the road?", just tell him its for science;)

Have Fun:)

LMB:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts