MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Geeze why do I feel so down it;s only a stone chip! I genuinely feel crap haha!
Was down this 40 mph limit carriegway minding my own business when this concrete mixer lorry came flying past me with god know how much crap coming out the back- bang it hit. Couldn't find it yesterday so thought I'd give it a clean this evening- yep one stone chip on the edge of the roof- mini only has 560 miles on the clock.
I could kill that bloke, literally.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I got a chip on my bonnet only a week after picking the car up :( Now have another right in the middle!!! :mad: I hate the damn things :hmph: But a chip is better than a dent :)

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch- if only manufacturers could solve this problem somehow!
Would you bother buying a tub of paint from the dealer and touching it up? I don't really think it's necessary- I prefer a chip to a blob of paint!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ouch- if only manufacturers could solve this problem somehow!
Would you bother buying a tub of paint from the dealer and touching it up? I don't really think it's necessary- I prefer a chip to a blob of paint!
If you fill it properly there shouldn't be a blob, it shouldn't be too hard on yours either, as its not metallic so will be easier to blend in.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Im waiting on getting a touch-up stick for mine as the one in the middle of the bonnet is pretty nasty :hmph: Next time im getting the bonnet done with invisishield first :eek:

·
Registered
83 Posts
...Geeze why do I feel so down it;s only a stone chip! I genuinely feel crap haha!
Was down this 40 mph limit carriegway minding my own business when this concrete mixer lorry came flying past me with god know how much crap coming out the back- bang it hit. Couldn't find it yesterday so thought I'd give it a clean this evening- yep one stone chip on the edge of the roof- mini only has 560 miles on the clock.
I could kill that bloke, literally.
Know how you feel about stone chips i managed to pick up one when i was driving it home from picking it up! was really gutted but was assured that it wasnt my driving and that they do just happen unfortunately. :(

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It really is tiny thankfully, you'd never know- but I dread the next ones!

·
Registered
121 Posts
chip repair

Quote "prefer a chip to a blob of paint!"

If you have a little patience and the right colour touch-up pen, you can blend in a chip repair with these steps:

Day 1 - t-cut chip then touch up
Day 2 - t-cut then touch up
Day 3 t-cut then touch up

etc..Repeat until repair is at same level as neighbouring paint- take care not to over do the t-cutting- you just want to take down the repair not take the neighbouring perfect paint down to the metal.

Goodluck

·
Registered
120 Posts
I sympathise with the o/p. Not the quite the same, but I caused the first chip on my GP...

Picked it up from the dealer, went for a litle spin and then took it straight to a mate's garage, which I was borrowing because we were having one built etc. Thing is, once inside the garage I let the door go to the first mark on the door check-strap in-order to get out, but a second later it decided to open a bit more and smacked the side wall. Arrgh!

LOL. In my head it was a massive chip, but the next day I realised it wasn't so bad. Still, it was an annoying thing to do on my first brand new car, and I was seriously cheesed-off... now I know why the guy I nearly bought a mint RS2000 from a few years ago had upholstery foam on his garage walls!

PS. Has anyone got that invishield stuff fitted, and is it recommended? I always imagined that it's really noticeable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts