MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone could help me. I'm aware there's a common issue on these of the tensioners going but I did read somewhere this only affected the 'S' models but I'm not sure if this is the case.

My engine is making a loud noise, however, it's only ever when it's idling and tends to come and go... It also seems to disappear at speed only to reappear upon breaking. Is there anything else that this could be or do I prepare her for the racetrack in the sky? I had been suggested it might be the alternator so it would be good to hear if anyone had an experience of this and whether it's a likely cause or not,

Thanks

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Seems to be the same tensioner on the non force induction cars as well, so failure will still happen although not as common as on the forced induction cars as less stress on the parts.

If you post video with sound clip maybe someone can help you.

· Registered
13,590 Posts
Just wondering if anyone could help me. I'm aware there's a common issue on these of the tensioners going but I did read somewhere this only affected the 'S' models but I'm not sure if this is the case.

My engine is making a loud noise, however, it's only ever when it's idling and tends to come and go... It also seems to disappear at speed only to reappear upon breaking. Is there anything else that this could be or do I prepare her for the racetrack in the sky? I had been suggested it might be the alternator so it would be good to hear if anyone had an experience of this and whether it's a likely cause or not,

Thanks
would check the water pump pulley and drive belt the pulley should have a coating on it this breaks up with age and sounds really bad, also due to the water pump being switched from ecu it could also be a clue ie yours comes and goes etc,
beware just changing the tensioner on that engine if done over 50k will just end badly ie the extra spring load will force the top guide to snap off if the chain has been slack for a while and lashing around as they do, should replace the chain and guides and tensioner and all stretch bolts. like i keep saying to people 60k is about the point when chains need doing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.