MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Taller Than You!
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pickep my DS 05 Cooper S friday! Fantastic except for a rattle thats appeared on the front windscreen area :( So its going in for that on tues.

Just parked on the drive, put my car in 1st gear as always just incase the handbrake slips. All is well until I suddenly hear my car alarm going off, I run to the window and the S is off on a mini adventure of its own :eek: it then stopped half in the road. *phew* it had not hit anything thank god but it could smashed into the concrete posts on the drive entrance.

Anyhow, why the f**k did it roll in 1st gear, i've tried 3rd and reverse and it still rolls freely, if your handbrake fails your screwed!

Its now back on the drive handbrake on as hard as possible!!

·
Taller Than You!
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not very steep, slight incline. I'm gonna go out and try it in gear again, its not moved since now... but rolling in gear is shocking.

My old car (VW polo) handbrake completely broke recently and i had to park it in gear, and it never rolled once just by being left in 1st gear. I was shocked when the mini rolled away.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If it rolls in gear, either the engine doesn't have enough compression to hold the car in place, or the clutch is slipping. Sit in it parked on a hill and determine which is the causing it to roll.

On any moderate hill, it should stay in place. My Camaro won't stay in my buddy's driveway without rolling, but it is so steep that it is a pain to walk up.

Something ain't right. Gotta be one of those two things.

Rawhyde

PS Remember that the Cooper S is supercharged and has a fairly low compression ratio and it's only a tiny 4 cylinder, but still, it ought to stay in place on a moderate slope.

·
Taller Than You!
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I thought went out again this morning, put ir in first took handbrake off, rolled a little then caught n stopped, must of not quite been in gear properly when it rolled away, close call :)

Prolly the whalen shifter it was impossible to grip for more than a few seconds with it being -1 C at the moment :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.