MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have a couple of questions about the sat nav, the big speedo and onboard computer.

• First of all, does the middle speedo only look like this
    when it has a sat nav?
  • Is the sat nav as good as a TomTom or Navman?
  • What does the onboard computer give you?
  • Do you get the option of an onboard computer if you do not choose the sat nav?

·
Registered
593 Posts
With those sort of questions, I would be going down my local MINI dealer and playing with the unit. Otherwise you will only get someone elses opinion. For my 2 peneth, Its NAV screen all the way, as the BIG speedo looks odd. IMO

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Yes it will look like that with Nav, thats the only option :)

I highly rate the MINI Satnav...I have been in cars with other 'tomtoms' etc and they just seem to get you lost or take you some straange way! (as Paul proved with a line of MINIs behind him through a housing estate :p)

The On-board computer comes with all MINIs with a pack on the (Salt, Pepper, Chili). On a 'normal' car it would display stuff in the rev counter screen or on the radio/speedo screen. With the nav its in the Rev counter and in the nav screen.

Here are some Nav views :D

...now where do I sign for my job? :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sat nav

I to thought the speedo looked a little odd without the satnav and have oredered it for my new MCS.
Though I've been told by the admittedly very inexperienced salesman that the £1500 for the option doesn't include the DVD to make the thing run!
I'm can't believe that a DVD isn't included but as yet - 1 week later, the aforementioned salesman hasn't got back to me after I told him to check with his boss.
before I ring his boss myself, could anyone shed some light on the situation. Is the salesman just stupid, or do Mini really charge extra for the DVD to make this £1,500 option work?

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Thats got to be the funniest thing ive heard :p Of course it comes with the DVD to make it work!! :D

The service dept at the dealer where my car came from managed to put the disc in the CD player and clearly expected it to work :rolleyes: All I can say is its a good job I didnt put a CD in the player! It lives behind the radio controls on the centre console :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow thanks for the images and info supa-dupa-cooper.

so if you need to update the information on the sat nav do you just have to take the mini to the dealership?

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
No worries :)

Im not sure, I presume we just either download from somewhere?! Or buy a new disc (think there are maybe 2 a year?!) But even the salesman said to not get it from them as they are expensive.

I had a new Cooper D in March (built in january) with Nav, got 'disc 1 of 2008' then.....then got a new Cooper S in June (built in June) with Nav and got 'disc 2 of 2008'

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
just what Jo said really :eek: I love the nav in mine, it's easy to use and looks great, much much better than the standard speedo :D:D:D

·
Wanted a JCW!!
777 Posts
How did you get the on board computer info and the stopwatch Jo? Haven't noticed that on my screen!

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Min Sat Nav system is essentially the same as the BMW Professional Nav system with a couple of differences.
Overall the Sat Nav is ok but not as good as other offerings - certainly the latest Alpine and Kenwood systems would outperform it by some margin and even Tom Tom has faciliites which the Mini system does not. (I have all three plus other nav systems so can compare)
The control of the nav system is mostly done using the Mini joystick which is in front of the gearstick - using push /rotate and joystick movements. It works reasonably ok but touch screen nav systems are generally quicker.
Route calculation on the Mini nav is quick and because the nav system has TMC then you ae notified of traffic jams etc and can replan. However it does become quite tedious when you still insist on going the route with the jam on it as it continually asks if you want to replan the route.
The stopwatch and timer functions are a gimmick and not really that useful.
The biggest gripe I have with the Nav system is that it does not display like a normal map i.e. white map with black/dark lettering etc. It will only display in what is known as Night mode i.e. black map with light or red etc typeface. This is a BIG disadvantage and one which affects the readability of the system.
The system comes complete with a DVD disc which goes into the nav system DVD drive which is hidden behind the audio controls part of the centre console.

At £1500 you could certainly get better aftermarket but you would not get the OEM look or the integration with the Steering wheel or the integrations with the Full Bluetooth?USB that I have.

Upgrading the system map involves buying a new DVD - not cheap. Upgrading the nav firmware can be done by your MIni dealer - if it is for a fault then generally this would be free. If an upgrade then depending on your relationship with dealer you might get it free or not.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Though I've been told by the admittedly very inexperienced salesman that the £1500 for the option doesn't include the DVD to make the thing run!
I'm can't believe that a DVD isn't included ..........
................ Is the salesman just stupid, or do Mini really charge extra for the DVD to make this £1,500 option work?
Thats got to be the funniest thing ive heard :p Of course it comes with the DVD to make it work!! :D

Technically, the DVD isn't included! The salesman has to order it seperately from the parts department & then subsequently get charged for it... however, the dealership then claim the charge back from MINI UK.

Therefore, no charge to the customer ;)

I learnt this the hard way lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info people. It's been very helpful/useful.

Think I'll go to the local dealership soon to see if they have a model with the sat nav in the showroom so I can see it in "person" and compare it to the standard speedo.

Think I'll need to to this just to see if the sat nav option is for me (as I think £1500 is a lot of money lol) plus I already have a TomTom and the updates are free with that...

So if there's a DVD player behind the audio control, does it mean you can watch DVDs on the speedo...now that would be a reason to get it lol.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does anyone know how you can view where the speed camera locations are on the factory fit r56 navigation system?

Below is information on that it can be done generally speaking on factory fit navs from autoexpress.co.uk

'Speed camera location is now a standard feature on most satellite-navigation units – both aftermarket set-ups and those which are factory-fitted in brand new cars. Rather than reacting to radio waves, it uses Global Positioning System (GPS) to plot the bearings of fixed cameras, warns you when you are approaching one and reminds you of the correct speed.'

Thanks Guys :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts