MINI Cooper Forum banner

201 - 220 of 250 Posts

·
220 of your finest horses
3,009 Posts
Vey nice

It looks great Roland, Thanks

Hopefully it preforms as well as it looks :p
Now I just need to get enough Liquid Yellow heads together to get Roland to make a nice LY version and I'm sorted. Failing that, I may just go with the black.

Fabio - looking good there pal!

S:yeblack:

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
Now I just need to get enough Liquid Yellow heads together to get Roland to make a nice LY version and I'm sorted. Failing that, I may just go with the black.

Fabio - looking good there pal!

thanks Steve, i'm sure he could do you up a LY version, it'd give the superbee even extra sting!!!

·
Danger!Moddings addictive
300 Posts
Fabio - Your GP looks the NUTS! :cool:

Reactions: Fabio

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Hi guys, glad your pleased Fabio.
Steve.... yellow? ............................... ...no problem:cool:
Best Regards Roland GTT:smile:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Fabio
Well I knew it would happen sooner or later. You stole my design of the red strutbrace for the GP! At least your on the other side of the pond;) . Great idea on the GP logo. Did you get a factory badge for that?
Steve

It looks great Roland, Thanks

Hopefully it preforms as well as it looks :p

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
Fabio
Well I knew it would happen sooner or later. You stole my design of the red strutbrace for the GP! At least your on the other side of the pond;) . Great idea on the GP logo. Did you get a factory badge for that?
Steve
thanks, theres a few other red ones around ;)

the 'GP' badge is an original one, it cost about 10 Euros form the dealer

·
GTT........See Yah
413 Posts
My MCSC GTT 240 as I posted originally on this thread has all three braces fitted and I cannot comment highly enough on them.
This would be the first mod I would suggest to anyone starting to mod there Mini, the difference in the handling on the Conv is like driving a different car, most passengers shut their eyes now when I approach a corner !!
the quality of the product and service that you will receive from Roland and GTT in my experience is 2nd to none.

·
3,009 Posts
Ok

I started off with a a red OMP upper strut brace. Had it on the car for 2000 miles and a couple of track days. TBH, I couldn't really detect much difference, but it looked good and I'm not a chassis engineer, so I figured it must be quite a subtle improvement that will become evident overtime.
One thing that worried me was the OMP brace was adjustable - surely this introduced flex?

Time marched on and I 'upgraded' to a shiny silver JCW brace. This too was adjustable, and again, I couldn't really detect much difference over the OMP. (In retrospect I should have driven the car again with no brace fitted to have something to compare it to, but I was in too much of a hurry to get my new toy installed).
Still the JCW brace looked nice (until it started to corrode!)

When I had the car GTT220'd Roland was a little sceptical about the structural integrity of the JCW brace and showed me one he had farbricated for the TT. It looked like a girder compared to the slim bit of bling I had.

So when he announced he'd developed one for the Mini, I knew I'd give strut braces one more try.
As I said, I'm no chassis engineer and my idea of driving finesse is limited (I tend to think that the throttle is a binary switch - on or off) but I bolted the GTT special order (it's yellow!) brace on (had to crimp the top of my GTT CAI shield to fit a liitle) and went for a bit of a blast.

It feels much more confident under breaking, under cornering load and particularly driving out of corners. Of course I need to go play on a track to confirm, but all in all very pleased indeed.

PS Thanks to M for buying this for me as a b'day gift! And thanks to Roland and John for getting out in time:D

Attachments

·
3,009 Posts
Tempting

But I'm trying to stop spending cash on the car!

Hmmm, yellow oil catch can, intercooler cover, airbox shields, hoses - sounds good to me!

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
I started off with a a red OMP upper strut brace. Had it on the car for 2000 miles and a couple of track days. TBH, I couldn't really detect much difference, but it looked good and I'm not a chassis engineer, so I figured it must be quite a subtle improvement that will become evident overtime.
One thing that worried me was the OMP brace was adjustable - surely this introduced flex?

Time marched on and I 'upgraded' to a shiny silver JCW brace. This too was adjustable, and again, I couldn't really detect much difference over the OMP. (In retrospect I should have driven the car again with no brace fitted to have something to compare it to, but I was in too much of a hurry to get my new toy installed).
Still the JCW brace looked nice (until it started to corrode!)

When I had the car GTT220'd Roland was a little sceptical about the structural integrity of the JCW brace and showed me one he had farbricated for the TT. It looked like a girder compared to the slim bit of bling I had.

So when he announced he'd developed one for the Mini, I knew I'd give strut braces one more try.
As I said, I'm no chassis engineer and my idea of driving finesse is limited (I tend to think that the throttle is a binary switch - on or off) but I bolted the GTT special order (it's yellow!) brace on (had to crimp the top of my GTT CAI shield to fit a liitle) and went for a bit of a blast.

It feels much more confident under breaking, under cornering load and particularly driving out of corners. Of course I need to go play on a track to confirm, but all in all very pleased indeed.

PS Thanks to M for buying this for me as a b'day gift! And thanks to Roland and John for getting out in time:D
congratsSteve :cool: , you definitley notice the difference on track ;)

·
3,009 Posts
Cool

Lookin to get some track time in this month. Willlet you know how I get on.

Cheers

BTW, what wheel/tyre combo are you running Fabio? They look pretty wicked.

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
Lookin to get some track time in this month. Willlet you know how I get on.

Cheers

BTW, what wheel/tyre combo are you running Fabio? They look pretty wicked.
17in OZ UltraLeggeras + 205/45/17 Pirelli PZero Nero
I wanted some Toyos o Paradas but couldnt get them i short notice

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
GTT STRUTBRACE FITS COOPER TOO !!
Hi guys weve finally fitted it the Cooper (ie non S). Simply remove the stock battery cover and it goes on a piece of cake. Bags of clearance to the battery & terminals etc,so nice & safe too.
See Pics;-
Best Regards Roland GTT:smile:
Just wondering... presumably the battery covers on a One and Cooper are identical. In a land as rainy and wet as Glasgow, surely the battery cover is an important feature and its removal would expose the battery to a considerable amount of moisture - or indeed, torrential ingresses of water.

Is there a solution to keeping the battery safely sealed whilst fitting the GTT Aerobox Strutbrace?

Many thanks,
Andrew.

PS
March 2004-build MINI ONE here. ;)

·
8,410 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nope, not without cutting a bit more material out. Altough the depth is fine its not wide enough to fit the Aerobox Strut Brace. I bought one a couple of weeks back hoping it would fit, but had to trim it about.

I've trimmed it so there is about 5mm clearance so looks nice and factory fit. I've also bought some black plasticard (1mm thickness) to make a "tray" in the cutout so as to seal the battery lid, but to be honest when the strut is fitted into the cutout you really cannot see the battery at all and would need to be really unlucky to get water in there.

Give me a week or 2 and I'll have the lid finished. I'll post some photos once it's done.

Cheers,

·
8,410 Posts
Nope, not without cutting a bit more material out. Altough the depth is fine its not wide enough to fit the Aerobox Strut Brace. I bought one a couple of weeks back hoping it would fit, but had to trim it about.

I've trimmed it so there is about 5mm clearance so looks nice and factory fit. I've also bought some black plasticard (1mm thickness) to make a "tray" in the cutout so as to seal the battery lid, but to be honest when the strut is fitted into the cutout you really cannot see the battery at all and would need to be really unlucky to get water in there.

Give me a week or 2 and I'll have the lid finished. I'll post some photos once it's done.

Cheers,
Well... I'm utterly paranoid about anything to do with electricity or unluckiness. :( Thusfar, in my short 7 years since passing my driving test, I have:
  • Had my first car (Peugeot 106) written off in a head-on collision with a drunk driver who'd stolen a Transit Van (who then subsequently restarted his motor, rammed me off the road into a ditch, and drove off to abandon the van)
  • Had two engine fires relating to starter motors (both in Skodas)
  • Set the entire electrical system of a SmartCar ForTwo on fire... quite pricey damage, I must say.
So, if anything even remotely unlucky is to happen... it will happen to me. :rolleyes: Consequently, I can leave nothing to chance! :redface:

I'd appreciate any pictures you could put up of a finished solution with instructions as to how to accomplish it. :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just taken some pics, sorry if they are a bit dark it's dark out. Will get some more up when I've finished the cover.

Attachments

201 - 220 of 250 Posts