MINI Cooper Forum banner

221 - 240 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Nope, not without cutting a bit more material out. Altough the depth is fine its not wide enough to fit the Aerobox Strut Brace. I bought one a couple of weeks back hoping it would fit, but had to trim it about.

I've trimmed it so there is about 5mm clearance so looks nice and factory fit. I've also bought some black plasticard (1mm thickness) to make a "tray" in the cutout so as to seal the battery lid, but to be honest when the strut is fitted into the cutout you really cannot see the battery at all and would need to be really unlucky to get water in there.
I did the same. I have the ProMINI slotted battery cover, originally purchased for a different strut brace (which turned out not to fit because of my JCW Sound Kit). I kept the cover, and when I got a GTT brace, it was too wide for the slot. I trimmed the slot wider. If starting out again, I would purchase a regular battery cover from MINI to cut, or cut my original one.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I just fitted one to the wifes cooper cab, 2007 model with the jcw sound kit.

It just dropped on! no cutting at all, it was just snug on the battery cover. Maybe you could try a later battery cover?

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
I just fitted one to the wifes cooper cab, 2007 model with the jcw sound kit.

It just dropped on! no cutting at all, it was just snug on the battery cover. Maybe you could try a later battery cover?
Would a 2007 cover fit a 2004 car? Not sure if the ease of fitting you found is more down to the cover or perhaps a change in the height of the battery mount? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Hi Guys this is 'the' coolest present you can give someone for christmas (even yourself).
We'll do 10% off from now till Christmas Eve to help you out. Just mention 'Santas Little Helper' to get the discount.:smile:
We may sneak a couple more little offers in like this ,so keep watching. Theyse offers will not be in our M2 Group Buy Special Offers Thread...a sort of discount treasure hunt for Christmas.:cool:

·
Previously Grizzly05
60 Posts
I WANT ONE! :) Just a quick question though, do you have to tell your insurance about this mod? or is it one of those ones like a head unit or speakers where they dont have to know?

·
8,410 Posts
I WANT ONE! :) Just a quick question though, do you have to tell your insurance about this mod? or is it one of those ones like a head unit or speakers where they dont have to know?
Oh, they absolutely have to know about this one. It's a significant performance upgrade. I've just purchased a second-hand one (being delivered today, as a matter of fact - so excited!) but MINI Cover (UK Insurance Ltd.) will not allow me to fit it until after I'm 25.

I'm 24 now, 25 in February, and my insurance is up for renewal in March. MINI Cover are not a reasonable insurer by any stretch of the imagination. I fitted Koni FSD shocks, but before ordering them I checked with my insurer who said it wouldn't affect my policy in any way, my premiums would not increase, and my voluntary excess would remain the same as it was simply an "uprated shock absorber".

I then ordered them off the internet and then phoned MINI Cover again to tell them I was about to fit the shocks and to double-check that my policy would be unaffected. They said "no problem, just let us know when they're on the car and we'll send you an updated cover sheet".

I fitted them the next day and called from the garage to tell them they're on the car before I drove it home.
"Oh, Sir... that's a significant performance upgrade. We're going to have to increase your premium and your voluntary excess will now be increased from £250 to £1100. Unless you accept these changes, the insurance policy on the vehicle will be invalidated, as it has been modified from stock specification."

To describe MINI Cover's actions as insidious and dishonest is about the most complementary thing I can say about them. I am absolutely livid with their actions (even all these months later) and I will not be renewing my policy with them next year under any circumstances.

From my understanding, this brace is one of the very best handling upgrades you can give the MINI - precisely the reason I bought one. If insurance companies can be funny about things such as shock absorbers, and believe me they bloody well can be, then this strut brace will absolutely need to be declared.

As eager as I am to fit it immediately on arrival and experience the joy I've heard so much about, I'm going to need to wait until I change insurers in February/March - possibly to Adrian Flux as I've heard good things about them on MINI2.

All the best,
Andrew.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Hi Andrew, to be sure always declare any mod ( even wheels different type tyres ). There will always be insurance companys trying it on. Like you say shop around ,most wont load you at all for a Strutbrace. Based on good comments here on M2,... Adrian Flux :cool:& Greenlight :cool:appear to be the best 'mod friendly' insurers.:smile:

·
Previously Grizzly05
60 Posts
Oh, they absolutely have to know about this one. It's a significant performance upgrade. I've just purchased a second-hand one (being delivered today, as a matter of fact - so excited!) but MINI Cover (UK Insurance Ltd.) will not allow me to fit it until after I'm 25.

I'm 24 now, 25 in February, and my insurance is up for renewal in March. MINI Cover are not a reasonable insurer by any stretch of the imagination. I fitted Koni FSD shocks, but before ordering them I checked with my insurer who said it wouldn't affect my policy in any way, my premiums would not increase, and my voluntary excess would remain the same as it was simply an "uprated shock absorber".

I then ordered them off the internet and then phoned MINI Cover again to tell them I was about to fit the shocks and to double-check that my policy would be unaffected. They said "no problem, just let us know when they're on the car and we'll send you an updated cover sheet".

I fitted them the next day and called from the garage to tell them they're on the car before I drove it home.
"Oh, Sir... that's a significant performance upgrade. We're going to have to increase your premium and your voluntary excess will now be increased from £250 to £1100. Unless you accept these changes, the insurance policy on the vehicle will be invalidated, as it has been modified from stock specification."

To describe MINI Cover's actions as insidious and dishonest is about the most complementary thing I can say about them. I am absolutely livid with their actions (even all these months later) and I will not be renewing my policy with them next year under any circumstances.

From my understanding, this brace is one of the very best handling upgrades you can give the MINI - precisely the reason I bought one. If insurance companies can be funny about things such as shock absorbers, and believe me they bloody well can be, then this strut brace will absolutely need to be declared.

As eager as I am to fit it immediately on arrival and experience the joy I've heard so much about, I'm going to need to wait until I change insurers in February/March - possibly to Adrian Flux as I've heard good things about them on MINI2.

All the best,
Andrew.
OH DEAR

Well im 17 at the moment (since november) haha, guess ill have to wait a fair few months before i uprate my policy....

Well thanks for the advice guys :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey i know this a bit of an old post but i thought i would jsut say my insurance company - quinn direct dnt charge any extra for mods including strutbraces bodykits and wheel changes. and for me (im 19 with 1 year ncb) its £100 each for mods like induction kits and exhausts. which is alot better then ive heard from other companys for somoene my age.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
.Your wish is our command ...We have just found the original prototype one , patina finish, clear powdercoat. Doesnt have the chamfered scollop along the back edge and the triangular windows are a bit smaller. Immaculate ....we can sell for £169+vat ..one only. :smile:

·
8,410 Posts
I so want one of these just wish they didn't cost so much!!
.Your wish is our command ...We have just found the original prototype one , patina finish, clear powdercoat. Doesnt have the chamfered scollop along the back edge and the triangular windows are a bit smaller. Immaculate ....we can sell for £169+vat ..one only. :smile:
Wow - good deal Davey, go for it! :D

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
right, i have just purchased one of these from the MINI2 classifieds, ( sorry Roland....lol)

Anyway, Roland, what do i need to do to the GTT airbox, how many MM do i need to reomve for clearance. And also what is the best order to retighten the bolts, do you know what torque they need to go to.

I will be after a rear one soon too after seeing it on your car, but not fitting it all till i have the suspension and change all tyres to the non-runflats. Hoping to notice a huge difference.

·
F43i0
3,727 Posts
did roland supply us with different bolts or where the standard bolts used, i cant remember?

I wanted to remove the brace today but when i went to but back on the bolts they seem'd to tighten up to quickly

·
8,410 Posts
did roland supply us with different bolts or where the standard bolts used, i cant remember?

I wanted to remove the brace today but when i went to but back on the bolts they seem'd to tighten up to quickly
Hey Fabio,

You might find this thread helpful on that topic:

Happy reading. :)

All the best,
Andrew.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just want to say thanks to Roland for getting the brace to me in super-quick time. Ordered yesterday morning and arrived on my doorstep less than 24 hrs later!! Fitted this afternoon and it looks fantastic. Must go for a drive now :biggrin:. Have to make sure the wife doesn't see it or she'll want one for her convertible :rolleyes:.

221 - 240 of 250 Posts