MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
xx Kate xx
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I own a Mini Cooper S, but ever since I brought it I've been having problems with the air pressure in the tyres.

It started first with the front passenger tyre going flat, so I took it to my local mechanics and they couldnt find a puncture and resealed the tyre. A bout a week later it had gone flat again :(... after about 3 months and probably another 3 trips to my mechanic they still couldnt find anything wrong and had tried nearly everything. Although, this tyre is now fine... the other 3 tyres seem to need pumping up about once a month - I usually look at the pressures when the little light comes on the dash, but this seems to be comming on quite frequently! I took it to my nearest Mini Garage and they've had a look at the valves and i think they've re-sealed the tyres again but they cant find anything wrong either.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do i just need to keep pumping my tyres up more often?

·
M3 CSL
724 Posts
Hi Everyone

I own a Mini Cooper S, but ever since I brought it I've been having problems with the air pressure in the tyres.

It started first with the front passenger tyre going flat, so I took it to my local mechanics and they couldnt find a puncture and resealed the tyre. A bout a week later it had gone flat again :(... after about 3 months and probably another 3 trips to my mechanic they still couldnt find anything wrong and had tried nearly everything. Although, this tyre is now fine... the other 3 tyres seem to need pumping up about once a month - I usually look at the pressures when the little light comes on the dash, but this seems to be comming on quite frequently! I took it to my nearest Mini Garage and they've had a look at the valves and i think they've re-sealed the tyres again but they cant find anything wrong either.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do i just need to keep pumping my tyres up more often?

It could only be one of a couple of things

1. Puncture (which it doesn't see to be since it has been checked)
2. Leaking valve (again seems to have been checked)
3. Damaged wheel rim which would cause the tyre not to seal correctly
4. Are they runflats? If they are runflats sometimes the bead on the tyre can be damaged when fitting/removing and this can cause a leak as the tyre cannot seal against the rim.
(I bought 4 runflat dunlops 2nd hand but they looked brand new, it was only when I come to have the tyres fitted that the tyre fitter noticed that every tyre had a damaged bead, all 4 tyres were scrap).

Hope you get it sorted as you shouldn't have to keep pumping up your tyres so often (normally when I check mine they are around 2-4psi down after a few weeks).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm having a similar problem!

Hi Kate,

I own a dark silver MCS- I love it! :D

My front passenger side tyre was losing pressure every two weeks, thought I must have some kind of problem so I took my car to Kwik Fit.
The guys were really nice and spend ages with the car- they took the wheel off and put it some water to find out of there was a leak (there wasn't). They said it could be that the tyre wasn't sealed properly but that they didn't wanna re seal it as my run flat tyre's walls may break?!!
Anyway, since then the problem is even worse- the light on the dashboard now pings every 6 days- it's very very annoying :mad:

not sure what to do next- I guess I'm gonna have to live with the problem until I need to get a new tyre in the future. Just wanted to say I share your frustration!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yeah I have recently had the same problem and lost about 5 pounds of pressure during the week. My local tyre dealer said it was the rims that were corroded and the wheels needed to be refurbished. I just got the tyres replaced on the problem wheel a couple of weeks ago and the problem has resolved itself though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a similar problem with the nearside rear. The guy I bought the car from was very open about the problem and had just had the tyre replaced in an attempt to sort it but every 6-10 days... "bing" and on came the light.

Kwik-Fit in Swindon were absolute hero's. They took the wheel off and dribbled some soapy water around the rim and found a very minor leak. You had to look really hard to spot it. Also the muppets that fitted the tyre had used rim weights rather than stick ons.

They pulled off the tyre, thoroughly cleaned the tyre and rim of the wheel, refitted the tyre, replaced the valve, rebalanced it using the proper weights, tried the soapy water again (no leak this time) and refitted it.

Total cost = £0 and one happy customer.

They'd had four or five mini's in with run-flats doing the same thing. They reckoned it's just a case of making sure it's all clean and tidy when the tyre goes on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hello

Hi Grim Squeaker,

I thought I was going mad with it 'pinging' all the time! glad your problem is sorted.

They did the whole soapy water thing but were relunctant to mess around with tyre. I think I'm going to take my car to another branch of Kwik Fit and see if I can get them to take the tyre off and put it back on again. :)

·
Polo GT Owner!
3,938 Posts
Had exactly the same problem on my old MINI, mainly down to the run-shats. The walls are so tough sometimes they don't fit as they should upto the rim of the wheel :eek:

I also had a very small air leak which was tricky to spot! After about 3mths of the constant 'Bing' noise every 2wks I got it checked out :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seems to be a common problem with the run-flats. I had a problem with the near side front and it would start pulling to the left about 2 days before the warning. Cured it by replacing the run-flats with normal tyres. Job done with other obvious benefits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts