MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1veryhappyowner
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after six years of driving MINI's (2.5yrs in a Cooper then the last 3.5 in a Cooper S) my MINI ownership is coming to an end this coming Saturday.

Why may you ask, well my existing MINI is now out of warranty and I want a new car . I am not that taken with the Mk II Version (sorry for any offence caused to those who have bought one!!) . So have been looking at other makes (pretty much everything) and after test drives of the new Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi (nice and quiet but poor visibility) and BMW 118d (too expensive and lack of equipment - also does not go round corners with confidence like the MINI) we end up at SEAT (I know, I know, I know there is badge snobbery (or WTF?? :eek: :aargh:) but put that to one side and you basically have a VW Golf with a nicer body (IMHO) and a £5k saving).

We test drove the SEAT Leon 2.0l FR TDI (170 BHP) and after nearly putting my wife through the windscreen (brakes better than Cooper S) - yes she had her seat belt on - we got out onto the dual carriageway and the in gear acceleration is like nothing I have driven before - would leave the Cooper S standing (unless you changed down a couple of cogs!!) - yes I know the 0-60 is not as quick but from a slightly rolling start........... We also both agreed it handled very similar to the MINI and inspired confidence through the bends and did not crash through the pot holes/sunken manhole covers.
We also test drove the SEAT Leon 2.0l FR TFSI (200 BHP) - not such good in-gear acceleration nor MPG.

To sum it up we have put a deposit down on a SEAT Leon 2.0l FR550 TDI (170 BHP) which we pick up this coming Saturday. It will be a very sad day to say goodbye to MINI but we part on a high and with fond memories.

For anyone looking to change their MINI in for someting more practical and can put the badge snobbery to oneside I highly recommend giving the SEAT Leon (FR model) a test drive.

I await with intrigue the barrage of comments/abuse I may now face??!!!

·
Crakle and pop!!
438 Posts
Not at all mate i have always liked the Leon models and i have been in the 140Tdi version which was quick enough so the 170 must be a stormer. Never driven one but to look at they are sporty and different enough!

What colour have you gone for? I like the white one or the red one. Only problem i would have (got to defend the mini in some way lol) is the slightly agricultral sounding engine, and of course no supercharger wine :) :) :)

However a good choice of car i rekon :)

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I always find it interesting the folks that have a low post count that come on here just to say they are selling their MINI.... I never did understand why they do it. :confused: One might think that it is a bit trollish. :rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck with the Seat...

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
We looked at Seat for Abi's company car a few years back, the dealer was rubbish, and the brand new demo car had bits falling of it it. It felt like nice engine in a shoddy wrapping (it was the top of the range diesel sport thing).

Sounds like things have moved on, so good luck with it.

·
1veryhappyowner
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think/hope that SEAT have improved things now - I understand that they are owned by VW. The diesel did quieten down after a few minutes of driving. Nothing fell off and there were no rattles unlike my S which now seems to rattle at all the time :mad:.

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
I've just come come an A3 TDi 170 and my Cooper S gives about 2mpg less on average!! Driving carefully saw a best mpg of 45mpg (which is normal for TDi170 owners it seems), push on and you'll get mid 30's. I've found my Cooper s to be quieter than my TDi170, but it did bloody shift!!

The 170TDi engine has plenty of grunt but was extremely disapointing on the economy front and are blighted by DPF filter regeneration problems, so much so that if you do a lot of town driving Audi recommend you don't get that engine. D{PF filters are not covered under warranty and a good few Audi owners have had to pay for replacemets. The A3 section on the Audi-sport forum has loads of info about the TDi170 engines and has a few cross forum discusions with Seat owners on common issues.

Must say that I really liked the Leon and would have bought an FR 170 instead of the Audi if the local dealers wasn't so appalling. I seem to remember that the Leon brakes took some getting used to on the test drive also. :tongue:

Enjoy your new car, life would be very boring if we drove the same thing year in, year out. :smile:

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I think/hope that SEAT have improved things now - I understand that they are owned by VW. The diesel did quieten down after a few minutes of driving. Nothing fell off and there were no rattles unlike my S which now seems to rattle at all the time :mad:.
Ah, so you are being a troll. Basically you were not happy with the MINI, which you bought the first production of, and are here to bash it? Enjoy your SEAT, but like SEAT, MINI has also improved things in six years. You are two face lifts behind. :rolleyes:

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Ah, so you are being a troll. Basically you were not happy with the MINI, which you bought the first production of, and are here to bash it? Enjoy your SEAT, but like SEAT, MINI has also improved things in six years. You are two face lifts behind. :rolleyes:
Sorry, but I'm not reading it as if he's trolling.

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
I like the SEAT range. They look good and use VW group parts for much less money.

A friend of mine has just got a new Altea, and though it doesn't ride or handle as well as the R56, it certainly is big and practical.

My father has that engine in a Passat - the only real drawback is the noisy clatter it makes but it is quick. But I'd be surprised if it was quicker than the latest MCS, I believe turbodiesels feel quicker than they actually are (the max torque figure on a diesel is over a very small engine speed range), but in the real world feel is probably more important than actual speed.

I'm on my second MINI, first was a R50 Cooper (3 years), now a R56 MCS (going to be 3 years), and though I love them to bits I can understand you wanting to move on to something different. Good luck. :D

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Sorry, but I'm not reading it as if he's trolling.
In a way he is... He came to a MINI enthusiast site with 88 posts to say that he is leaving MINI due to rattles of his MINI for a new SEAT. He then goes on to compare the two? I don't understand why he even felt that he needed to come here? If he is happy with the SEAT, great but why announce it here? Find a SEAT forum and move on. The only reason that he would come here is to try to poke folks in the face with his new car. Either way I hope that he is happy but I still don't have a clue as to why come here?

It all seems a bit trollish to me... but... maybe I am wrong. :confused: It has been a long day so it is probably best just to ignore me. My apologies to BenJ if I am over the top. Still curious as to why 88 posts with a join date of 2004 and the need to say goodbye here.

·
clubMINI Master
992 Posts
Sorry but I don't read it as that. We don't all need to post a million posts to feel part of the community here.

I find it interesting to hear what people are moving on to and don't read it as a dig at the MINI. He has said nothing that we don't already know.

I was under the impression that this was an open forum, not one where we all have to agree and only say good things about the MINI.

I see the reason for moving on from his MINI is that it is out of warranty and that he doesn't feel so great about the R56. I can understand that. Not that it has rattles!

My MINI is an 03 S and I know what it is like to have an old MINI that is out of warranty, and TBH I wouldn't swap it for an R56 either. I however still love it too much to swap it at the moment. Although when I do it will probably be for a Landy....not my choice....I'll always have my S Cab!

I have found it a useful posting as we don't get the Leon here and it is nice to know what other options there are for those that are wanting to find something to fill the void left by a MINI.

·
1veryhappyowner
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just want to make it perfectly clear that I have been very happy with my two MINIs during the past 6 years - the rattles were NOTHING really (just highlighted them as they were the only thing that was negative during my time MINI and was not the reason for moving on!!) Had I liked the MK II version as much as the last two I would have stayed with MINI but in the next few years we are going to need a more practical car.

I know in the past six years I have only done about 88-90 posts but have spent a considerable amount of time reading the posts (and only responding/posting on the issues I thought I could positively contribute to.................) and have read with interest what other MINI drivers are considering buying when they move on and I thought i would feed back what I have found (was a SEAT dealer at Hampton Court - couldn't do enough for us, very help full and went out on both test drives on our own).

I will continue to watch what MINI brings out and will look to come back to them in the future.....

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Enjoy your new car, I know EXACTLY what you mean about not appreciating the design of the current r56 range. I was wondering what I'd be moving to myself until recently, I'm now fairly sure that I'll either keep my own car long-term or move to a factory JCW after test-driving it (it's an amazing car). Again, enjoy, and perhaps we'll see you back for the next generation of MINI. :)

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I just want to make it perfectly clear that I have been very happy with my two MINIs during the past 6 years - the rattles were NOTHING really (just highlighted them as they were the only thing that was negative during my time MINI and was not the reason for moving on!!) Had I liked the MK II version as much as the last two I would have stayed with MINI but in the next few years we are going to need a more practical car.

I know in the past six years I have only done about 88-90 posts but have spent a considerable amount of time reading the posts (and only responding/posting on the issues I thought I could positively contribute to.................) and have read with interest what other MINI drivers are considering buying when they move on and I thought i would feed back what I have found (was a SEAT dealer at Hampton Court - couldn't do enough for us, very help full and went out on both test drives on our own).

I will continue to watch what MINI brings out and will look to come back to them in the future.....
I understand. I was having an "off" day yesterday and should have not even posted in the thread to be honest. I have driven a few SEATs and did like them Hopefully it will be trouble free for you. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
My husband has the Lean 2.0 TDI sport (I think it is 140bhp?), it was one of the first new-shape Leons, on an 06 plate. He loves it! It is a cool looking car and goes like stink. It has been very reliable too. It is a bit plasticy inside though, and has nowhere near the quality of finish of my (mk2) Mini but it is a nice car all the same! I think he plans to get another one next, the FR diesel like yours, so that says a lot really! He previously had a couple of Golfs before that and it really is very similar to a Golf, some of the trim bits and pieces are the same.

Good luck with your new car!

(ps hope you are getting the white one, they look sooooooo cool!)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good luck with your new car. I certainly know i couldn't go to a different make of car, its in my blood now. I wouldn't feel the as good. i get a buzz when i get in my mini & no its not a fault on it. Ive had 2 now & am working on what to put on my next one.

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
I had a Seat a few yrs ago, OK it was an Ibiza, but I had no trouble at all with it, a great little car... I sold it to get a MINI..which I had loads of trouble with LOL :D

Anyway, after not having a MINI for 18 months nearly and I'm also not comparing the R56 like I was when I had my MINI, I'm now being drawn back and I'm seriously looking at a R56 Cooper as my next car, hopefully before this yr is out :)

Have fun in your Seat :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts