MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I'd post my final e-mail to MINI customer services on here. I've just sent it, I'm not expecting a response (due to past experiences) and I am expecting to be contacting BBC Watchdog by the end of today.

To whom in may concern,
I rang earlier to advise you that I hadn't heard back from [BMW Regional Managers name removed](he said he'd ring me "in a couple of days" last Tuesday). In the mean time I have taken legal advice and have been advised that I have a good case for claiming a refund on my vehicle under the 'Sales of Goods Act'. I have given reasonable opportunity for the dealer to fix it and they are still unable to or even to give a definate date for when they will be able to, I have also informed you within a reasonable time (the car is only 6 months old). I have already tried to achieve results the amicable way (I logged my intention to reject my car on January 10th (it is now February 13th) with both yourselves and the dealership). Having tried the direct approach to no avail and taken legal advice but being unable to get legal support, I have no option but to forward my documentation of events so far to BBC Watchdog for them to look over. I intend to do this unless I have have an acceptable response (or at least some sort of progress) by the end of today. You may contact me on [Mobile no. removed], if you so wish. I have already placed an order for another MINI with a different dealer, this should show my faith in the brand, I just got a particularly bad car, I don't want to lose as much money as I currently stand to (£500 deposit, £1152 payments to finance so far, a settlement figure of 12644.83 and a best trade in offer of £11250, total loss £3046.83, I am willing to lose the payments I have made so far as a compromise).
Thanks,
Colin

What do you think, am I being reasonable or not?
The list of faults has been covered on here before, butthe major one is the pulling left.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Fair play CMT, strikes the right balance between compromise and getting what you deserve. Good luck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Keep us informed

I hope your new dealer is a good one!!!!! hehehehe

Make sure the tyres are not worn, ahem.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Mark

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sounds Fair To Me

There are two simple ways that I see to analyze the situation:

First-you had use of a new car and drove it for 6 months, so you should be liable for the depreciation of the car for that period. Say you drove it 1500 miles and the depreciation of a typical MINI is 75p per mile, then 1500x75=£1125, and MINI should credit you £1922 of your loss.

Second-I think the biggest loss in trading in such a new car is the loss of the 17.5 VAT you will have to pay on a second car. A cost you wouldn't have paid if you kept the original car had it been fixed properly. So I think it's fair that MINI reimburse you for the VAT on the second car--approx £2000?? I don't know the basis for figuring VAT-is it the base price of the car, or does it include options?

·
Registered
149 Posts
My View

I don't know all the background to this, so excuse me if I make any wrong assumptions:

You say you informed the Dealer / BMW of your dissaproval / intention to reject the car on Jan 10th - I assume that this is due to a recurring fault that the dealer has been unable to fix.

In my view, you would be liable for the depreciation / finance costs of the vehicle from the time you took delivery to the time you first reported the fault. If MINI have spent 4 months attempting to fix it and failed and you have owned the car for six months, then you should be liable for two months worth of costs.

The fault also has to be sufficiently serious to warrant rejection and must be clearly a "fault" not a deliberate design feature (if you see what I mean).

Hope this helps

·
Registered
632 Posts
cmt said:
. . . What do you think, am I being reasonable or not?
The list of faults has been covered on here before, butthe major one is the pulling left.
It seems to me that you have and are being perfectly reasonable.

Hope it all gets resolved to your satisfaction.

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, so far so good... No firm promises yet, but they did get in touch :) and seem to be trying to help now. Will let you know on Friday/Monday when I will find out the response.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Lets just hope MINI/BMW see sense and you get your money back. You never know they may stick a CD Changer in your car as a good will gesture (read that somewhere from a guys delaers, in the problems/fixes forum)

·
Registered
213 Posts
cmt

did they get back to you?

Garry

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cmt said:
Thanks all, so far so good... No firm promises yet, but they did get in touch :) and seem to be trying to help now. Will let you know on Friday/Monday when I will find out the response.
Will let you know tomorrow/Monday when they are getting back to me. Seemed much more promising though. Hoping not to have to go to Watchdog now... :)

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no response today, will let you know on Monday.

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As promised....

I said I'd keep you upto date, so here is the update....

BMW did not get back to me today (I tried to ring the person I an dealing with when I hadn't spoken to him by 5pm and surprise, surprise I got voicemail :( ) So, it looks like I'll try to ring a few more times and get a response tomorrow. Then, send a slightly more urgent version of the mail... Or back to plan A I go.... (Shame Anne Robinson isn't on it any more ;) ) :( :( :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Oh dear! Sorry to hear that Colin.

Better luck for tomorrow.

How about trying to email them as well several times just to jog them along.

Regards,

lol.

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Lol. How often were you considering? Think every 10 minutes should help :D
I spoke to them this morning and it would seem that I missed their call yesterday. Apparently a voicemail has been left on the dealers phone and they should "have a way forward" by the end of today, lets hope so. Personally I think this is stalling tactics as it would be very difficult to go to Watchdog when my problem car had gone (replacement ordered at my expense, through another dealer arriving early March). So a mail to that effect will be on its way to MINI Customer Services very shortly. They have until tomorrow night for a DEFINATE answer one way or the other. Expect to see me on BBC :D

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and finally....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thankyou Mr BMW Customer Services (and Ian Anthony Williams Bolton) you are now much higher in my opinion :D

As you probably guess, my car is being accepted as a buy-back/reject :D and I am a much happier bunny.

Final details of the deal are still to be worked out, but either way I will not be losing as much money as I had stood to :D

Message to other people in my position, keep pushing for it. You may just succeed.

Time for one more smily face :D

P.S. new Sales Manager at bolton dealer seems great. Down to earth, polite and eager to help. Very friendly and is a nice change :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice one Colin

So they DID listen then !!!!!!!Well done mate it's about time they took you seriously.:) :) :) :) :)

Now for more options on your new one :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No more options, I specced the replacement car exactly as I wanted it. I figured I could always find the money from somewhere or drink less beer and I didn't want to regret not ordering some options :) Anyway the replacement is already in the build stage :D Please build it right this time MINI builder man ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts