MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.... Hi peeps.......

I often contemplate what is in store for the motorist of this country over the coming years........And TBH.... I feel it's all a little bleak.(Coming from the viewpoint of someone who enjoys driving, owning and modding their own vehicles)

Firstly, I believe that we may possibly be in the end of days when it comes to modding and hopping up our rides performance. ::frown:: .... You can certainly see a decline in these scenes since the heights of the late 90's/early 00's...And as we are all being pushed forwards by our illustrious leaders towards leasing, renting, electric vehicles and with autonomy looming on the horizon I can only see things getting darker.

Call me conspiracy nut, I dont care..... But lets keep it real... if in 25 years most cars are self driving, electric vehicles, do you think they will be issuing driving licenses to the masses? Pahhh I think not.

Infact, I feel the conditioning of the public for this time is already coming.... how?..... by pricing people out of driving.....

Rising insurance costs, penalties for those who want to nurture and look after/keep older vehicles, making up of complicated rules and regulations that will put people off owning a vehicle. Harder driving tests with more pointless modules and lessons to cover, over egging it to ensure failure or make passing very difficult. Rising fuel duty and no drive zones(for poor people at least...anyone live in London and happy about the mayors proposal for the ULEZ to extend to the north and south circular roads?...I know I am not!). Huge fines for people who park in the wrong place, turn left when they should have turned right and other genuine mistakes. Government people, cameras and technology all out there to shove there fist up your *rse to shock/disctract you while they reach in your pocket and take your money..... How long do you think it will take before the average joe just thinks that driving isn't worth it anymore?

5-10 years.... driving will be too expensive.
10years+....Electric will kill the petrol/diesel/second hand fossil fuel car market
20years+....full introduction of autonomy.
30-50 years...no more self driving.

At this point we may all be all stepping into our grey suits, getting into our grey self driving cars which will take us to our grey jobs and driving life will have been sucked of all colour.

Yes the above is a bleak and entirely possible outlook.

Personally though I hope things don't go this way........

Infact, I hope autonomy continues to fall flat on its face, that the mavericks out there despite the onset of more draconian regulation, will still be able push the boundaries when it comes to modding and upgrading electric vehicles when they are finally the majority on the road. Suped up, Tron like neon streaks that sound like spaceships and go 0-60 in a blink, and on to 200-300mph. There is a whole possible future where guys like us could still have fun and stay ahead of the curve. But only if the desire and the will is there to stick 2 fingers up to the establishment. If they haven't beaten it out of us by then :big_grin: .... I also hope that I am around long enough to see the above come to fruition or at least the start of it play out, if it should do so.

Where do you see things going for the motorist in the future?.....would you be ok with having a car taking you everywhere without being in control?....Would you still try and hop up an electric vehicle if that is all there was to fettle with?....How long do you think we have got before the driving/transportation game changes and becomes unrecognizable to what we know today?

Food for thought..... Lets discuss :)

P

· Sour Mash
1,335 Posts
I agree with your thoughts on the fines, there’s a bit of a controversy near me at the moment with a bus lane off a roundabout which does not have no entry signs on it and has cameras fining people for driving up it. The road has signs with a picture of a bus and a very small sign saying “only”. Very easy to come off the roundabout and drive down it with no no entry signs, many people are getting fined for driving down there by genuine accident. Seems like a nice money maker ...:serious:

That said I would say motoring has gotten more accessible not less - look a few decades back where unless well off or with family members in the trade a family had 1-2 cars...Today a working class family with parents and teenage/young adult children will have a car each at least - sometimes more ie more cars than people. That said it could be it has just peaked in the last few years and we may be onto a downward slope

As for autonomous cars I’d be happy if everyone who didn’t enjoy driving was in one leaving those of us who do enjoy driving much safer!

· Registered
13,593 Posts
totally get this Peppers Pray, it seems like this government has lost the plot on every level, i also fear the next 15 years. really do feel like it its just all building to some big civil unrest or worse. or maybe brexit will sort it all out where everyone can get a fair job with fair wages again who knows,, and driver-less cars hmmm what could go wrong there then, bit like all the other faults all car makes have on all cars that they could not get to work correctly even after 10 years still fitting same timing chains in updated engines and still getting same outcomes,, sign of madness or theft

· Registered
482 Posts
Too much doom and gloom........... 30 years ago they said that taking leaded petrol off the forecourts would mean all veteran and vintage cars would be headed to the scrap heap - didn’t happen, they are as popular as they ever were and you you still see cars that were never intended to run on unleaded still out driving on the roads. The sooner that “cherry bomb” antisocial exhausts are banned the better I have to put up with the antisocial behavior of a family in the village I live in who are illiterate (demonstrated by the fact that they cannot differentiate a 30mph sign from a 40 or a 50 or a 60 sign......) they think it is clever to drive through the village at breakneck speed in highly modified Cars that one wonders how they ever pass an MOT and they have twice been done for having no insurance..........

· Registered
13,593 Posts
Too much doom and gloom........... 30 years ago they said that taking leaded petrol off the forecourts would mean all veteran and vintage cars would be headed to the scrap heap - didn’t happen, they are as popular as they ever were and you you still see cars that were never intended to run on unleaded still out driving on the roads. The sooner that “cherry bomb” antisocial exhausts are banned the better I have to put up with the antisocial behavior of a family in the village I live in who are illiterate (demonstrated by the fact that they cannot differentiate a 30mph sign from a 40 or a 50 or a 60 sign......) they think it is clever to drive through the village at breakneck speed in highly modified Cars that one wonders how they ever pass an MOT and they have twice been done for having no insurance..........
30 years ago they said that taking leaded petrol off the forecourts would mean all veteran and vintage cars would be headed to the scrap heap....... hmmm it did sort of happen until engine rebuilders changed the valve seats and valves on some of the old cars to make them run further, but mostly never happened unless the car was worth a few quid, common upgrade for 1970s and earlier cars,
The sooner that “cherry bomb” antisocial exhausts are banned the better I have to put up with the antisocial behavior of a family in the village I live in who are illiterate (demonstrated by the fact that they cannot differentiate a 30mph sign from a 40 or a 50 or a 60 sign......) they think it is clever to drive through the village at breakneck speed in highly modified Cars that one wonders how they ever pass an MOT and they have twice been done for having no insurance..........[/QUOTE] yep can see the doom and gloom there had same kind of chav neighbours my self until everyone here made their lives hell and they moved, that said i know of some really nice people with loud exhausts lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.