MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, just got the GB metal badge from Ebay, I was thinking to put at the usual place (left side of the boot when you look at the car from the rear), however, since it is metal, is not bendable and that area of the boot surface is curve, not flat. So, I thought may be I can find an alternative flat surface to put it, I found it and it is near the license plate area, as shown below using illistrated by software.

I have not done it yet, just want to see what you all think and wonder whether it may be offending some native British people (which I don't want) if I place the G and the B separately

Thanks for your input in advance.

·
1st MINI Owner in QLD !!!
2,467 Posts
The will bend just slightly. I had it on the boot on my Cooper. Looks good on the boot

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,170 Posts
GB Plate

A nice touch adding the GB plate :)

AND it's good of you to check with us (the British) if it's okay!!! :D

It's a nice idea putting it where you have, but:

1. We couldn't put it like that, even if we wanted to, because of the size and shape of our own registration plates.

2. It doesn't quite work with the G & B split up.

3. It is so traditional to have it on the left side of the number plate that it's a shame not to do it!

It seems to have worked pretty well on mine with flat figures on the curved lid. Originally I bought mine from a traditional Mini restorers and they were chrome plated brass and they had mounting bolts which you needed to drill holes in the boot lid to fit. :eek: I ground those off and used self adhesive tape. ;)

Now that I have decided that I want to keep them permanently I am now looking to get some more and this time I will drill the lid! That will get rid of any curve problem permanently. Not for the feint hearted though!

Please the the picture, below, and see what you think.

Tigger.

Attachments

·
1st MINI Owner in QLD !!!
2,467 Posts
This is Mine fitted with double sided adhesive

Attachments

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Only got a dirty picture of mine:rolleyes:

but you get the idea, on the left as they should be, but all I would say is that they will eventually perish and pit if they are chrome, best bet is to get stainless steel ones to put on instead;)

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,170 Posts
Rakey said:
Only got a dirty picture of mine:rolleyes:

but you get the idea, on the left as they should be, but all I would say is that they will eventually perish and pit if they are chrome, best bet is to get stainless steel ones to put on instead;)
Not always the case...

I went to an old Mini rally in Newquay and there was a Mini restorer exhibiting there and they had chromed brass ones that won't rust. Apparently that's how they used to be made, but you have to be careful because most of them are now just mild steel (chrome plated) and they will rust pretty quickly.

I know that they weren't kidding me because when I ground the mounting bolts off (to replace with self adhesive tape) it was definately brass underneath.

Tigger.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys/Mates, thanks for your idea and comment. This morning, I finally found a way to bend it, as brett mentioned, it does bend slightly, but required a lot of force. So, I put it on a mat on the ground, used my whole body weight, stepped on it on one side, and pull by hand on the other side, it indeed bent. So, now I have them on the usual and traditional place on the boot.

Thanks much for comment.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,170 Posts
Would you post a new photo now it's done?

Tigger

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
Rakey said:
cool, will have to keep an eye out for those, as my are now well pitted due to road salt:(
a rub with some brasso brings them up lovely- i use it on my cooper signature & it doesn't mark the paint

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
I use chrome/metal cleaners, but they still have the pits on their, now looking for a way to remove them safely and put the next set on;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tigger said:
Would you post a new photo now it's done?

Tigger
Sure I can, if I have time tomorrow, I will do that. Possibly I can also take pics of the John Cooper signature emble that I just put on. :)

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
just ordered the GB badges from www.somerford-mini.co.uk according to their website theirs are the proper chromed brass ones.

strangely though they can't supply the chrome cooper signature badge anymore, to quote
Thank you for your order. Unfortunately due to copyright issues between
Rover and BMW we are unable to supply the John Cooper signature badge at
the moment.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,170 Posts
BG Plate - Hat

Well done for finding that.

I think that theses must be the people I bought mine from at a Mini show in Newquay last summer. You will either need to drill holes in the boot lid, or if you are too much of a wimp (like me!) to do that, then it's time to grind the bolts off ! Well worth the effort...

Tigger

1 - 18 of 18 Posts