MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had them fitted today by Event tyres in Manchester. Great bunch of people and very reasonable prices.

I went for the 215/45/17 extra load version in the end and so far I'm impressed.

It's been a bit greasey on the roads so haven't had much chance to test them but it rained like crazy before (auto wipers were going their fastest) and these tyres made it feel like it was dry! I couldn't believe how well they clear the water. Not only that, but from a full throttle standing start in the same weather, there was literally no wheelspin!

Will try and post a review in dry conditions when we get some.

I reckon 215/45/17 must be the optimum tyre size. Really fills the arches nicely and grips nicely.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other good thing is that they will warm up faster than the runflats too;)
:nice::wink:

Well it's a nice day it seems and we're going to London for the weekend so will try and see how well they work in the dry and post what I think when I get back :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Haha you beat me wayne to having them fitted. Had mine done this morning, look good and had a couple of spins round a few roundabouts and so far impressed and the ride I feel is alot smoother. Here me pics (hopefully)

I had them fitted today by Event tyres in Manchester. Great bunch of people and very reasonable prices.

I went for the 215/45/17 extra load version in the end and so far I'm impressed.

It's been a bit greasey on the roads so haven't had much chance to test them but it rained like crazy before (auto wipers were going their fastest) and these tyres made it feel like it was dry! I couldn't believe how well they clear the water. Not only that, but from a full throttle standing start in the same weather, there was literally no wheelspin!

Will try and post a review in dry conditions when we get some.

I reckon 215/45/17 must be the optimum tyre size. Really fills the arches nicely and grips nicely.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still impressed with mine after a 500 mile round trip this weekend. The car grips much better than before and the speedo is still within 3mph of the GPS :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Told you they were good didn't I???

Glad to see yu went for them in the end!!
Lol yeah very happy with them. It looks and handles like a Go-Kart with them on now :D The sidewalls fill the arches perfectly and look great with that shiny stuff the local hand car wash paints on them :cool:

Scillyisles, you're correct :) On the motorway with cruise control set to 65mph (yes I drove like a granny this weekend on the straight bits) the GPS was reading a constant 62mph.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What pressures are you running them at??

Lol yeah very happy with them. It looks and handles like a Go-Kart with them on now :D The sidewalls fill the arches perfectly and look great with that shiny stuff the local hand car wash paints on them :cool:

Scillyisles, you're correct :) On the motorway with cruise control set to 65mph (yes I drove like a granny this weekend on the straight bits) the GPS was reading a constant 62mph.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't checked that... fogot to ask the tyre fitters but will try and check at some point. I think it's Super Cooper that runs them at 32psi?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah I didn't ask either and haven't had chance to check, I'm sure I read that someone on here recommended running the fronts at 32 psi and the rears at 34 psi

I haven't checked that... fogot to ask the tyre fitters but will try and check at some point. I think it's Super Cooper that runs them at 32psi?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
34 at the rear? Sounds like a recipe for fishtailing? I would say the other way round would be better with the heavy engine being at the front etc.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Interesting speedo/GPS results which suggest your speedo is optimistic. Using a tyre size/speed calculator, changing the tyre size to 215's from 205's with the same profile, should make your speedo over-read by approx 1mph.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting speedo/GPS results which suggest your speedo is optimistic. Using a tyre size/speed calculator, changing the tyre size to 215's from 205's with the same profile, should make your speedo over-read by approx 1mph.
Manufacturers build in a safety margin though which that website probably doesn't take into account. It's my 19th car and I've never had a car yet that isn't 3 or 4mph off the GPS.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Finally folks are catching on :p

I've been running F1s now across 2 MINIs for the best part of 4 years motoring, and 60k miles :)

I love them ;)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Hardly :p

Seriously though, the F1 GSD3s are excellent tyres, and suit the MINI handling characteristics perfectly :) The solid centreline resisting tramlining is really important on a small car with such (relatively) large wheel diameters ;)

So what MINI do you have these fitted to, and what pressures are you running?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hardly :p

Seriously though, the F1 GSD3s are excellent tyres, and suit the MINI handling characteristics perfectly :) The solid centreline resisting tramlining is really important on a small car with such (relatively) large wheel diameters ;)

So what MINI do you have these fitted to, and what pressures are you running?
No idea on pressures unfortunately as I forgot to ask the tyre fitters. Will try and find out though as I think I need a little less in the rears and more in the front.

I've had them fitted to my Cooper D and it now suits the "Cooper" name-badge :smile:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts