MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW quoted me $1152.42 for full comp insurance for S. Taking into account $46,000 (cost including on road cost for S) rating 1 driver - living in low risk area and my age being 39 and that there is no finance.

Not bad - did try AAMI for a quote and they would not beleive me that it is a BMW mini - they told me that I have it wrong and it is a morris mini!! Once we worked it out that it was a BMW the operator went on to ask me if it was a V8 or 4 cylinder :confused: - don't think I'll be going with them.

Andy

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: 1st Aussie insurance quote for S

MINICS said:
BMW quoted me $1152.42 for full comp insurance for S. Taking into account $46,000 (cost including on road cost for S) rating 1 driver - living in low risk area and my age being 39 and that there is no finance.

Not bad - did try AAMI for a quote and they would not beleive me that it is a BMW mini - they told me that I have it wrong and it is a morris mini!! Once we worked it out that it was a BMW the operator went on to ask me if it was a V8 or 4 cylinder :confused: - don't think I'll be going with them.

Andy
I'm sure you will be able to do much better than that Andy. I pay $550AU for my Forester GT of similar value, more powerful, but less performance, and It's leased!. I'll be 39 in April......groan.

cheers

·
M2 Procrastinator
1,817 Posts
aussie MCS insurance...

need insurance, & have got a few quotes...

budget car insurance have hit me with 1170, or 1295 with 'no claim bonus' protection!
AAMI is >1400, & i think NRMA was similiar

anyone got any better decent insurance options???

any comments on budget car insurance [they're apparently 3rd biggest in the UK!]

***specs****

no drivers under 25 [although this seems a stipulation, not an option!]
60% no claim >5yrs [& would like to protect it!]
garaged @ night [or next to me in bed more likely!]

·
The Iron Pyrite
830 Posts
I'll be going through the same process soon enough. I asked the question myself and only got one response from another of the Canberra owners ie.

"NRMA charged me $885 including 60% no claim bonus and multiple policy discounts."

It might have something to do with the location you live - I think they rate certain places higher depending on prevalence of car theft.

·
M2 Procrastinator
1,817 Posts
i've never REALLY understood insurance...

i just ran my details through the online quote service @ NRMA telling them that i live in canberra, & i got a very similiar figure [if not ~$100 more!]

location is definately a factor, but i think age probably has more to do with it when the car has a supercharger! seems NRMA simply doesn't won't [& thinks they don't need] under 30s!!!

anyways, let it be known that from my experience an under 25 WILL NOT be insured by any of the major insurers for driving an MCS! i've even had it put to me that 'even in an emergency they won't be covered!' ...but really, i don't care - as long as they reduce MY premium!

my best bets have been...
www.budgetdirect.com.au
&
www.motorinsurance.com.au
[in fact, i think they are both 'budget car insurance', just check out the sites, the questions & the quotes!]
& both seem to have pretty reasonable cover inclusions - including YOUR CHOICE OF REPAIRER!

any experienced insurance gurus out there?

anyways... good luck harry!

.g

·
M2 Procrastinator
1,817 Posts
yep...

AAMI gave me ~$1470 [if i remember rightly] & that was confirmed over the phone!

now that includes lifetime 'no-claim bonus' protection & all their other 'aami valet' stuff, but was not only more expensive, but had NO CHOICE OF REPAIRER! not that that means very much with a car of this type [fred @ the local servo isn't exactly going to hand in a quote to repair an MCS - or is he?!?]

them's the cold hard facts - MORE MONEY... lucky i bargained the dealer down a little!

cheers

.g

·
M2 Procrastinator
1,817 Posts
not the they know...

pristine driving record in fact - no accidents or points at all!

just plugged my details into the AAMI online quote system but gave them 2620 as my postcode & came up with $860 !!! god i need to move to queanbeyan - what are house prices like, what's the weather like! so either NOBODY steals cars in queanbeyan, or NOBODY has accidnets! congratulations!

by the way, to save you trouble www.allianz.com.au / www.direcdial.com.au won't do an MCS on any under-30s!

l8r

.g

·
Registered
421 Posts
QLD INSURANCE COOPER S

G'day Gazah.
I got my MCS in November and got online quoted with Suncorp and NRMA (I think) for around $1100. I'm rating one 30yrs old live in Boondall (nthside) in Brisbane. I then rang my current insurer Credit Union Australia, I think they go through VACC. $675 or thereabouts. My MCS is cheaper to insure than my 2000 model 626 was????? I double checked the figure with the operator and she confirmed it. SOLD! I don't know if you have a Credit Union Australia in Sydney if not try VACC direct. I get a 10% discount on top of that for combining all of my home & contents too. You can pay monthly with CUA.

Try them out.:D

Cheers

Jase:red:

·
M2 Procrastinator
1,817 Posts
thanks for the info...

WOW - i tracked down your credit union insurance to www.cgu.com.au & there premium is well under $1k & no more to pay by the month! the online quote system didn't ask me for my address or postcode [???] so i'm gonna give them a call to confirm details of there quote!

incidentally, suncorp-metway quoted me up near the $2k mark... mustn't like under-30s i'd say!

cheers

.g

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
BMW Insurance

We have BMW insurance on our S. I am northside Brisbane, 30+, rating 1, and we pay $640. All our extras are included in this figure, which bumped it up a little. Should the car be damaged with BMW insurance, it goes straight to a BMW approved repairer, and they use BMW parts.

With AAMI (and many others) the cars go to to "quote farms". All the damaged cars are places in a warehouse, and then all the approved repairers quote on them. Whoever is cheapest wins, which means that often corners are cut. There have been numerous horror stories from repairers that work like this.

·
M2 Procrastinator
1,817 Posts
am off to the dealer now...

so i'll get a quote through bmw! was always meaning to, but i found their finance less than competitive, let's hope i get as good a deal!

as for www.CGU.com.au - they quoted me $935 with...

specs as above [up the top]
CHOICE OF REPAIRER
new car replacement guarantee for 2 yrs / 30,000km or 3yrs / 50,000km [bit stingy of kms!]
storm / hail etc etc
no claim protection after 2 years [1 per yr]
no extra for by the month payments
$400 excess for 2 nominated drivers [$800 for others]

* premium only goes to $1040 for under-25s
[but excess goes up also - obviously!]

anyway, will report back on bmw insurance tonight!

any other input still welcome & APPRECIATED!

cheers

.g

·
Registered
108 Posts
Aussie MINI insurance [email protected]??

Has anyone had any experience with the insurance offered by MINI in Australia.
The details sound ok, if car written off in under 2 years its replaced, car hire, MINI approved repairers only used, 1 free windscreen a year.
I'm a 33yo rating one driver living in inner city Brisbane, My MCS is spec'd with Sunroof, 17'' wheels, climate, and sat. nav. My car doesn't arrive for about a month.
I got a quote from MINI for $1090.00.
Have done a couple of online quotes (CUA,NRMA) and they both come back at around $1500.00.
Anyone have any advise, or MINI insurance experiences?
Cheers :)

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
MINI/BMW insurance was slightly dearer for me as a 21yo male with no accidents (40% no claim so far).

I was quoted 2100 odd from BMW, but the cheapest I got was $1914 through GIO.

I would have liked to do my business through BMW insurance though, as it is a BMW car, and Im sure, in the case of an accident (heavens forbid) they would know what to do best.....

I will watch this thread. ;)

·
MINI Traitor
4,974 Posts
Hey steady up there :)

My situation looks very similar to yours. our postcode is 4053, and I believe our bill for the MINI is about $700 through BMW. When we got the car it was more lik $650. Maybe we are in for a shock this year :(

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Spottydog said:
Doesn't look like anybody uses MINI insurance. :(
We insured originally through AAMI (when the car was in cityclinic livery) however we had a couple of bad experiences (bad service, bad workmanship, bad paint, etc etc) with other vehicles in the fleet so moved it all over to Allianz. The MINI is now insured with BMW insurance which I believe is underwritten by Allianz.

Costs a lot more than AAMI however much better policy and alot more comfort knowing they use BMW/MINI repairers or your own repairer if you know a good one. :D

·
Whatev.
2,878 Posts
I am insured with BMW, was slightly more expensive - at this point I don't know if it was justified yet as I have only had my beastie a few months. No claims experience yet - hopefully never.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am insured with Shannon's - it was the best deal I could get: $750. I have heard some people previously saying that Shannon's was one of the dearest for them though...... I guess different location, age and Rating make a big difference.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts