MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I'd hoped would be a simple task rapidly seems to be becoming like something out of a Kafka novel. I'd really like a CD changer with a double-figure capacity (10 discs would do, 12 would be even better) and (this is the tricky bit) a radio/cassette with Dolby C. Options explored so far...

Alpine: no current Dolby C head unit, but a local dealer has a dusty new old-stock (at least 3 years old, by my guesstimation) one, although it's ampless. They do make 12 CD changers, though.
Kenwood: another dealer is attempting to source a recently-deleted Dolby C head unit to go with a 10 disc changer.
Panasonic: Dolby C head unit but only an 8 disc changer to go with it.

Not being too well up on these things (domestic hi-fi more my bag), does anybody have any thoughts on the subject? Is it possible to get Nakamichi or Harmon Kardon head units in the UK? And are there any in-car hi-fi magazines still in existence, Max Power excepted?

Cheers!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Will attempt to track down a copy. (Pesky Smiths website hadn't heard of it...curses!) Huge waste of money averted, hopefully...or at least delayed!

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
I'll vouch for nakamichi being sold in the uk, being that there's one sat in my dash right now. At least it better be...

Dom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally!

Thanks for your help, Dom and Smiffy. What eventually happened is that I canned my list of impossible requirements (Dolby C and 10+ CDs) and went for a Nakamichi radio/cassette and CD changer instead. A bit more hair-shirt than I was expecting (no LW, won't play CDRs) but lovely nonetheless. And my dealer (Moving Sounds, Newport) suggested that upgrading the standard speakers would be a fairly pointless exercise unless I was intending going for subwoofers and all manner of component madness (which I'm not), advice that seems sound so far.

Cheers again!

·
Test thread infiltrator
8,421 Posts
That's good advice, nice to see an ICE dealer not trying to squeeze every penny out of you...

Of course, if you wanna hear the full potential of a Nakamichi head unit, you gotta spend some serious cash ;)

Dom

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But then again I was sitting in a traffic jam this evening listening to some Aphex Twin, thinking that maybe there was a little bit too much bass...oh well, I was perfectly content for four days, that's pretty good going! Infinity website here I come...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts