MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the head unit I have been waiting for has finally arrived.

My Sony MD HU is now on it's last legs so have been looking for a while for a replacement. I don't want or use the MD anymore and have moved fully over to i-pod. I have got a 6 cd changer in the boot but don't even use that anymore. At the moment I have a denison ice link with a cradle
(very old pic)

So I wanted something that acts as a blue tooth for the phone as 99% of phones no longer make or support built in phone kits and one that just has a radio and an i-pod - that's all I need or want.

Any way (finally;)) to the point of this thread. I have been chatting to minicabrio and he has spotted this little beauty and it seems to fit the bill.

Before we both buy one we just wondered if anyone has any experience of it and what their thoughts were.

heres all the tech details

Technical and commercial specifications

Bluetooth digital car stereo and hands-free kit
  • Interface :
    • 2.4-inch TFT screen with 262 144 colours
    • 12-key numeric keypad
    • 8 control buttons + 1 rotary button
  • Display :
    • Phone information
    • Phonebook, caller names and numbers
    • Playlist, album cover, artist and title
  • Audio :
    • 4x45W amplifier with 20-bit DAC
    • Minimal impedance of 4 ohms
    • Line-out socket for external amplifiers
  • Tuner :
    • FM and AM bands (PO and GO), RDS
    • 48 recordable stations (presets)
  • Digital & analogue connections :
    • Specific iPod and USB connector
    • SD card reader
    • Analogue jack line-in socket at the front
    • Analogue RCA line-in socket at the back
  • Téléphony :
    • Automatic phonebook synchronisation
    • Complete call records
    • Number of contacts: total of 8 000
    • Voice recognition
    • Speech synthesis of the names in the phonebook (TTS)
  • Sound :
    • Full duplex and echo cancellation
    • Parrot DCBM noise reduction
    • Double microphone built into the front panel
    • Automatic detection of the speaker's position
    • Bluetooth stereo (A2DP) compatible
    • Transmission through the vehicle's speakers
* Compatible with Bluetooth Stereo (A2DP) mobile phone, Bluetooth enabled PC computers, PC computers equipped with a Parrot Bluetooth USB dongle, Bluetooth MP3 players, portable music players equipped with a Bluetooth audio dongle and any type of analogue music devices.

Bluetooth
  • Bluetooth v1.2
  • Profiles supported:
    • HSP 1.0 (Headset Profile)
    • HFP 0.96 / 1.0 / 1.5 (Hands Free Profile)
    • A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile)
    • AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile)
    • OPP (Object Push Profile)
    • PBAP (Phone Book Access Profile)
    • SYNC
  • Maximum range: 10 meters
  • Pairing by PIN code, maximum of 10 devices
  • Updates via Bluetooth
Processor
  • Parrot P5+ (32 bits) @ 208 MHz
  • Memory: Combo Flash = 1 GB
  • RAM = 128 Mbits
Dimensions

Front panel
  • Height = 59 mm
  • Width = 189 mm
  • Depth = 29 mm
  • Weight = 0,132 kg
Unit
  • Height = 58 mm
  • Width = 180 mm
  • Depth = 174 mm
  • Weight = 1,038 kg
Kit contents
  • 1 PARROT RK8200 car stereo / Bluetooth hands-free kit
  • 1 removable front panel with screen and keypad
  • 1 carry case for the removable front panel
  • 1 USB / mini USB cable
  • 1 accessory bag
  • 1 user guide
and a few images ;)

Attachments

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
My local vehicular retailer are stocking this so called by tonight to have a play with their shelf unit - very impressed :cool:

The big circular thingy in the middle is twist to rotate, and push click in to select, like a BMW idrive - very easy to use ;)

The fact that I can stash my iPod in the bay behind is just ideal too :D

As soon as Mikey has the MFSW adapter sorted, my order is going in :p

Jon

·
Registered
108 Posts
have a look at the soon to be released BT8041 kenwood unit. Does all the above as well.

Bizarrely not yet on the kenwood site - but google it and you can find the microsite thats been designed for it - and its all UK as well so its def out soon!

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
speaking to mikeythemini either way as he stocks both so waiting for his wisdom once he has played with both :)

Also it looks like it has a cd - which I really don;t want and I like the way the Parrot stores the i-pod or phone behind the screen :)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
have a look at the soon to be released BT8041 kenwood unit. Does all the above as well.

Bizarrely not yet on the kenwood site - but google it and you can find the microsite thats been designed for it - and its all UK as well so its def out soon!
I had a look at the Kenwood one when browsing last night.... doesn't seem as good as the Parrot offering to be honest.

I like the ickle colour screen on the Parrot that gives all the album art etc off the iPod....

Can't find the microsite though, so a link would be handy :D

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
I'd imagine it would do as it effectively has a full icelink to the head unit - screen is a bit too small for that though, and not sure of resolution ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also been looking at replacing my HU with the Parrot! It packs some crackin features! Been holding off at the moment as I have been trying to find out if I will still be able to use the Steering Wheel controls with the Parrot HU. Anyone know? Cant find any adaptors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This looks pretty good, for me the little shelf for the ipod is a big plus, no messy wires, cradles and a bit more convenient than leaning across to the glovebox.
Does anyone know how well it controls the ipod and what the sound quality is like?
How would this compare to the Alpine iDA-X100 say??
Cheers :)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
The product according to the Parrot website is 'made for iPod' - that means it's not just iPod compatible, but it was designed with iPod in mind. Sound quality i'd imagine is just like a proper icelink, and it should have all the other benefits like iPod charging etc.

I've not had chance to listen to the system yet, its only been out for a week. I'm happy though to be the guinea pig ;)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
So Kenwood use Parrots technology anyway?

As I said above, I haven't heard the Parrot yet, its only been out a week, but sure we'll soon see :)

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
hi guys
I believe the pArrots have arrived I will have a play when back on thursday.the kenwood we have on pre order we have the lower model which I preface as you can select the colour, on this the bluetooth does require a hideaway box
yes the new kenwood do use parrot to make their Bluetooth

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
Only got back from lakes 2008 this evening
Bad news - these dont have mfsw input
Not had chance to listen to one yet , will do that in the morning

·
Registered
27 Posts
Please be careful with this one.

I had one installed by Halfords (excellent service) last Saturday. I took it back after the centre "jog" dial did not access the menus. They replaced the front facia immediately but this did not fit firmly enough to the unit and fell off after driving over a bump in the road! The guy from Halfords reckoned that the unit was brilliant on features (that's why I bought it) but weak in terms of build quality. I might have just been unlucky but make sure you check for these difficulties before parting with your cash.

I did think that the unit itself felt cheap in comparison to other makes.

I bought the Alpine iDA-X100 unit which seems to be superior in terms of build but lacks bluetooth, storage for Ipod etc.........:frown:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts