MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
G'day !!!





:D

Got some free tickets from BMW today, for the Brisbane Motor Show. Wasn't going to go, but may as well pop in now. Should have oz spec cars their by now. Be able to check out their build dates !!. If anyones interested in oz spec cars and would like to see some photo's of a particular area of interest, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
Basil

Anything will be interesting, of course, but I'm planning to have a test drive next week - I think the demo car is a Black Cooper with 16" & SS+

Might take the camera along...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rich said:


Might take the camera along...
Good idea. Can never have too many photo's. Don't forget to take some shot's of the Central Tacho, BruceK loves it!!

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Basil,

It goes without saying of course take as many photo's as possible. I heard today that at the Melbourne Motor show there will be only one S on show in EB, also the dealer informed me that the first two cars on sale at each dealers will be pre-speced - EB, with 17inch wheels, sunroof and leather seats.

Andy
 

·
MINIstry of Fun
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
MINICS said:
...also the dealer informed me that the first two cars on sale at each dealers will be pre-speced - EB, with 17inch wheels, sunroof and leather seats.

Andy
Will be nice to see a high spec 'S', cos I won't be getting sunroof or leather, or 17" wheels.

Why hasn't my dealer called? He also promised me the 'S' brochure would be here by the end of the week. They really can't be run off their feet just yet. Two guys in a showroom with two Coopers that don't go, taking orders two years out. Can't they lick a stamp and send the stuff to me?

Patience is not one of my virtues.
 

·
MINIstry of Fun
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
Basil, what about exterior and interior colours schemes in the brochure.

Is the 'S' coming in Liquid Yellow?

Regards, ElTel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Basil

Excellent! When is the show being held?

When I get back to Oz, then a Cooper S will definitely be on my shopping list.

Note - my initial calculation of prices shows that the Cooper S is cheaper in Oz, than in the UK! Have you done the calcs?

Goes to show what a great country it is!

Cheers mate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Eltel,

Just to let you know (not that I'm sticking up for the dealers) but I work in the city and phoned southbank mini up to see if they had the brochers yesterday lunch time and they said they only came in half-hour previous, so I walked over & got one. I'm sure they are busy posting them out now. As for the colour the brocher does show liquid yellow, but the dealer did say that the Aus colours for the S have not been deceided as of yet - perhaps by next week.

Hope this helps.

Andy ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MINICS said:
Basil,

It goes without saying of course take as many photo's as possible. I heard today that at the Melbourne Motor show there will be only one S on show in EB, also the dealer informed me that the first two cars on sale at each dealers will be pre-speced - EB, with 17inch wheels, sunroof and leather seats.

Andy
Yes, I was told yesterday that there will be an S at the Melbourne show, but sadly no S at the country cousins show in Brisbane. If your correct about pre-specced cars, I doubt if they will be customers cars. ALL oz customers cars are built to order.

Coopers at Brisbane are oz spec, but don't have the glovebox, so I guess they are probably press cars.

cheers
 

·
MINIstry of Fun
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
MINICS said:
Eltel,

Just to let you know (not that I'm sticking up for the dealers) but I work in the city and phoned southbank mini up to see if they had the brochers yesterday lunch time and they said they only came in half-hour previous, so I walked over & got one. I'm sure they are busy posting them out now. As for the colour the brocher does show liquid yellow, but the dealer did say that the Aus colours for the S have not been deceided as of yet - perhaps by next week.

Hope this helps.

Andy ::)
Thanks Andy, I'll assume it's on its way, but I'll also slip down to Southbank and get one on Monday.

Thanks for the reply on colour, if yellow goes, I'm considering black/white, but my daughter has a black Honda Civic and it does get dirty quickly. And black won't show off the bonnet scoop.

Regards, ElTel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
eltel said:


Will be nice to see a high spec 'S', cos I won't be getting sunroof or leather, or 17" wheels.

Why hasn't my dealer called? He also promised me the 'S' brochure would be here by the end of the week. They really can't be run off their feet just yet. Two guys in a showroom with two Coopers that don't go, taking orders two years out. Can't they lick a stamp and send the stuff to me?

Patience is not one of my virtues.
As MINICS has already said, the S brochures arrived in Brisbane at 11.00am on Friday 8th. Nothing you havn't already seen here though. The brochures are generic unfortunately.

A few prices that I have been able to get from dealers yesterday, the 17" S-spokes being a dissapointment.

Sat/Nav $3,500AU
Xenon Lights $1,100AU
Climate Control $610AU (Same as Cooper)

And the S-spokes, we are getting ripped off for $2,400AU.

My dealer called me at 6:30pm last night. He's just recieved an e-mail with ALL option prices, which he will make available early next week.

Note the Australian Specification loose page dated Feb 2002 does not have the MFSW listed as an option. This is an error. MFSW available at $700AU

cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eltel said:
Basil, what about exterior and interior colours schemes in the brochure.

Is the 'S' coming in Liquid Yellow?

Regards, ElTel
Colour schemes for the S are similar to the Cooper, again the S brochure is generic so don't take too much heed of options etc.

There is absolutely no reason to think that you won't be able to get your S in any of the standard colours, including M3 yellow.

cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Garry said:
Basil

Excellent! When is the show being held?

When I get back to Oz, then a Cooper S will definitely be on my shopping list.

Note - my initial calculation of prices shows that the Cooper S is cheaper in Oz, than in the UK! Have you done the calcs?

Goes to show what a great country it is!

Cheers mate
www.brisbanemotorshow.com.au

Brisbane Show started on the 8th, and finishes on Sunday. Tends to be a bit of a car yard, rather than a proper show, like the Sydney & Melbourne Shows. Might have to fly down to the Melbun one to look at the S.

I think your S is cheaper Garry. THe US have got the best deal.....as usual:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
1st Aus S's to be prespec EB only!

Basil said:


Yes, I was told yesterday that there will be an S at the Melbourne show, but sadly no S at the country cousins show in Brisbane. If your correct about pre-specced cars, I doubt if they will be customers cars. ALL oz customers cars are built to order.

Coopers at Brisbane are oz spec, but don't have the glovebox, so I guess they are probably press cars.

cheers
Spoke to dealer today. Bad news - 1st 45 Aus S's in June/July will be prespec in Electric Blue plus lots of options e.g. Lapis Blue Leather. No DS in 1st cars either

This is unbelievably crap!

BMW Aus not happy either - Were told by Europe that if they didn't take the prespec cars they would also be delayed a further month on customer spec cars! (i.e. September or later)

This policy smacks of laziness & exploitation - A long run of prespec cars will be easier for the plant, and BMW are clearly banking on customers stumping up the extra $$$ for a car loaded with options they don't want because they are "enthusiasts". Great way to treat your most loyal fans BMW!:mad:

This is being positioned by BMW as an "opportunity" to buy a "special" car, which is just downright patronising

It's not even like customers will get a package deal on the car - All options are fully costed

Will find out more next week

I did have my heart set on a Mini - I now have another month's wait for the car I want (August). It's enough to start me thinking of other options - Is this car really worth the pain?:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: 1st Aus S's to be prespec EB only!

rich said:


Spoke to dealer today. Bad news - 1st 45 Aus S's in June/July will be prespec in Electric Blue plus lots of options e.g. Lapis Blue Leather. No DS in 1st cars either

This is unbelievably crap!

BMW Aus not happy either - Were told by Europe that if they didn't take the prespec cars they would also be delayed a further month on customer spec cars! (i.e. September or later)

This policy smacks of laziness & exploitation - A long run of prespec cars will be easier for the plant, and BMW are clearly banking on customers stumping up the extra $$$ for a car loaded with options they don't want because they are "enthusiasts". Great way to treat your most loyal fans BMW!:mad:

This is being positioned by BMW as an "opportunity" to buy a "special" car, which is just downright patronising

It's not even like customers will get a package deal on the car - All options are fully costed

Will find out more next week

I did have my heart set on a Mini - I now have another month's wait for the car I want (August). It's enough to start me thinking of other options - Is this car really worth the pain?:mad:
Hmmmm...... Perhaps my dealer was being more honest with me stating a Sept/Oct delivery.

Yes it's worth the pain rich. The time will fly by quickly enough. The later the cars the less likely they are to have problems. Having said that.......

What's annoying is that BMW have had $1000 of my money since early November 01, and from what your saying someone can walk into a dealers showroom from July 02 and Drive out in an S, having parted with about $55,000AU+.

I have already been soul dearching and will de-spec my car down to the essentials. Not paying top dollar for extras on a car this size, at these prices. Climate Control should have been standard issue, and so should the 17"'s.
Stuff 'em. Still have half an eye on the WRX Sti or 200SX or Integra Type-R.......

:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
Re: Re: 1st Aus S's to be prespec EB only!

Basil said:
Still have half an eye on the WRX Sti or 200SX or Integra Type-R.......

:rolleyes:
I wouldn't mind trying the new MX-5 turbo - have seen favourable reviews vs. S2000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: Re: 1st Aus S's to be prespec EB only!

rich said:

I wouldn't mind trying the new MX-5 turbo - have seen favourable reviews vs. S2000
The only thing I don't like about it, is it's too subtle. It's got the power (150kw i think) but it looks just like it's lessor brother....... At least the S LOOKS like it's got balls......

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st Aus S's to be prespec EB only!

Basil said:


The only thing I don't like about it, is it's too subtle. It's got the power (150kw i think) but it looks just like it's lessor brother....... At least the S LOOKS like it's got balls......

:)
...That's one of the things I like about the MX-5 Turbo. Truth be told, I'm not entirely happy with the mods to the S, though reserving judgement till seeing it in the flesh

Each to his own...;)

Haven't given up on the Mini just yet, though - Been pondering today on switching to a regular Cooper

If I like it at my test drive on Wed, I might see if I can get a car for mid-June (when the VTi-R expires). Hmmm... If only BMW could make life simple for us
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st Aus S's to be prespec EB only!

rich said:


Haven't given up on the Mini just yet, though - Been pondering today on switching to a regular Cooper

Hmmm... If only BMW could make life simple for us
You might be able to get one before then. I have a feeling there may be a few spare at the release date. MINI would have to accomodate those people that walked in in March expecting to drive out with a car. Let's face it there are only so many idiots around the place willing to give BMW $1000 to play with for 10 months !!!

cheers



:)

PS. Bet theres a waiting list for the MX5 turbo too!!!.....
 

·
MINIstry of Fun
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
Re: 1st Aus S's to be prespec EB only!

rich said:


Spoke to dealer today. Bad news - 1st 45 Aus S's in June/July will be prespec in Electric Blue plus lots of options e.g. Lapis Blue Leather. No DS in 1st cars either

This is unbelievably crap!

BMW Aus not happy either - Were told by Europe that if they didn't take the prespec cars they would also be delayed a further month on customer spec cars! (i.e. September or later)

This policy smacks of laziness & exploitation - A long run of prespec cars will be easier for the plant, and BMW are clearly banking on customers stumping up the extra $$$ for a car loaded with options they don't want because they are "enthusiasts". Great way to treat your most loyal fans BMW!:mad:

This is being positioned by BMW as an "opportunity" to buy a "special" car, which is just downright patronising

It's not even like customers will get a package deal on the car - All options are fully costed

Will find out more next week

I did have my heart set on a Mini - I now have another month's wait for the car I want (August). It's enough to start me thinking of other options - Is this car really worth the pain?:mad:
Basil, would not most of these 45 be the showroom/demo 'S' cars? I cannot believe that BMW/MINI would try to sell all of the first batch in the same colour. And the specs would be there to demonstrate the accessories. If these are demos then our positions on the list should be almost unchanged.

My order for the 'S' is staying where it is. This car will be worth the wait, and I'm getting it in the colour that I want.

Regards, ElTel
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top