MINI Cooper Forum banner

The Red Baron is here!

10K views 105 replies 44 participants last post by  bennyx_o 
#1 ·
Well after a long hard look at what we spend on running the two cars especially with the recent hike in fuel and road tax we have sold both our GP and Cooper!

Tomorrow we bid a fond farewell to them! both :(
We have had some great adventures together, especially the GP, after all it was the car that took Jax and I to our wedding in Venice! :)

If you'd asked me two months ago I wouldn't of dreamed of selling the GP!

I'd never planned on keeping the GP as a show car or any sort of investment and he was bought for having fun and blasting round Europe.

But that said, in my mind after Himley Hall and the line up of 30 odd GP's, he's already starting to show his age. I imagine when the dealership put it on the cherished site it will be the highest milage GP for sale in the country with over 25K on the clock!

As I said before, with the ever increasing fuel price and road tax, this car is going to be less desirable over the next few years except to the dedicated MINI enthusiast. I was quite suprised with the deal I got and decided it was time to go with it!

If you factor in the small amount of loan we had on the Cooper, petrol, insurance, road tax, the cost of diesel as opposed to super unleaded we were putting in both cars, we will be at least £400 a month better off!

But it's not all doom and gloom...

Tomorrow we pick up our brand new clubman D... :D

Four weeks ago the plan was to buy an ex showroom model from their national data base that nearest matched our colour choice and spec, but after a brief chat we got a build slot straight away! :eek:

Now to the car, I'm not going to bore you all with a full spec list but here are the important things...

We opted for Chilli Red with Black a roof.

This is how he turned up from the factory.

The car has also been fitted with the factory aero kit, not to everyones taste but we love it! :D

It was a surprise to see that the factory aero kit came with this different style of side repeaters.

We've gone for black JCW R105's to fill out those arches.

The interior is soecced with rooster red along with matching colour line and piano black dash/decor rings.

The front of the car will be fitted with a JCW black grill and twin black spots by the time we pick him up.

So roll on tomorrow...:D:D:D

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you going to colour code the arches? Its the least you can do with the factory aero kit. Looks lovely though, red and black suits it especially with the JCW wheels and JCW grill that is planned. Good luck!

PS. Get it re-mapped, for even better mpg... oh and a little performance increase! :)

#17 ·
Ahhhhh we have not picked up the car today!

It's now looking like Tuesday!

We were going to have the JCW grill fitted but they have'nt worked out a way to do it! :rolleyes:

I have explained how to do it (thanks Jo ;) but to be honest I don't think they will now do it as it involves a small modification to the grill that isn't standard! :hmph:

I did ask that they have the original red grill ready to go just in case. But because we are having spots fitted they want to use the new grill with the slots in and paint the slats red!

Why could they not remove the red slats from the other grill as are they not a separate item! :puzzled:

I've included a rough photo shop as to what the front of the car will look like once the grill, spots, and vipers are in place!

#26 ·
Hey you 2 - radical change but why not that's what I say! Think Austin will be coming up for sale towards the end of the summer as I reckon I'll be getting Clubbed up for Autumn too. It's evolution really isn't it? Can't wait to see the pix of your new Clubby later this week. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.