MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When people ask me about my car the first thing they ask about is the exhaust and intake system. It seems to be a common thing that people who don't understand Minis would go down the usual intake/exhaust route first. As most of us now know this is not the best route if your hungry for more power (as exhaust / intake make as little as makes no difference on a stock car).

This question is raised a lot more than once these days it would be a good idea to collaborate peoples experiences here. This in the interest of helping people new to the world of engine upgrades as it is the most common, effective and best value for money upgrade.

I know I asked this question when I joined :). After looking at 200-220 bhp packages (£800 to £1200) i was directed at an Alta 15% reduced pulley, shorter belt and iridium spark plugs.

Work was carried by Minispeed of surrey west byfleet at the cost of £315 fitted.

Butt dyno difference was huge... the car felt much, much torquey'er. Car was Dyno'd at Mini2's dyno of choice (Surrey Rolling Road) and made 201 BHP at the flywheel, 181 ft/lbs torque @4500 rpm and 167 HP at the wheels on my pre-facelift R53.

If we assume that the car stock was 163 BHP (like fitted packages assume) a 38bhp increase is very respectable for what costs much less than an exhaust / intake. It was only when I next checked the plugs (a month or so after the dyno) that I noticed they a) were not tightened up properly and b) were infact a lower grade than what I specified. Meaning I lost compression and anything upto 10 HP on the dyno.

Note: When having one of these fitted always ensure the garage confirms what size reduction is applied as with really small pulley's you could push your charger too hard at high RPM. Also ensure your belt is changed with every oil service just to be safe.

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Good info Batou. I think it's a a bit of a mission getting your head round all the tuning options for Minis - especially when compared to non-supercharged cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts