MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
first time I post something - but the closer the date of delievery of my indiblue/white Chili MINI gets, the more I find myself browsing through this brillant site and forum in the evenings. So while my baby is waiting in cold and wet Brugge/Belgium for its train to Munich this is probably the best way to prepare myself mentally for its arrival. (Please excuse my non-perfect English - but -You guessed it- I'm writing from Germany).
I am really fascinated about the resonance of this site - was or is there anything similar happening with other cars? I can't remember.
My first car was a Mini, one of these boxy shaped Innocenti de Tomaso (probably not many will know this car) - in fact a 70 HP Cooper S with italian style bodywork (Bertone). I bought it for 250 DM,-, it was rusty at every corner you can think of (even the roof had a whole:rolleyes: )but after some work it looked quite well and performed even better.
After a great summer on the twisty roads of the black forrest, the vosges (?) and the alpes I had two engine brake downs: first a broken crankshaft (!!!) in the middle of switzerland and on my last trip before the winterbreak (remember the rust) not enough oil (permanently no money these days) in the sump combined with full throttle in a long right handside curve. Result: No oil pressure and damaged crankshaft bearings - over and out.:(
This is now almost 13 years ago. With these memories of a brilliant car in mind I got really excited about the plan of BMW to create a mini successor and just hoped that they'll keep the spirit of the MINI.
Now I found work at BMW Motorcycle and have had the possibility to drive a Mini One for one night - and I was deeply impressed. It is just the fun machine it used to be before, only on a higher level. The way it gives you the feeling that you have everything under control, that just exactly feel the way the tires are performing on the the road surface was more then I expected. A bit disappointing to me was the engine of the One without torque in the low range and without power at high revs. I also don't understand, why the gear ratio of the One is longer (3,42) then in the Cooper (3,94). Think it reved only 5000 1/min at 180 km/h - does anybody know the reason?
After a good friend got her Mini Cooper, she took me for a short ride (unfortunately she did not allow me to show her just a tiny bit of the potential this roadholding is offering :( ) I decided to order my Indieblue Cooper with white roof :) ! And hopefully it arrives in about two weeks.

:D

greetings from bloody cold munich
jomini :)

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
jonmini,
Welcome to the madhouse ! Congrats on the first post and your order too...
I have had many 'moments' in my mini and sure I'll have loads more in my MINI when it arrives....

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
jomini said:
greetings from bloody cold munich
Hi there... A friend visiting from Frankfurt tells me parts of Germany have been -45C this winter:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
jomini said:
Hi everybody,
first time I post something - My first car was a Mini, one of these boxy shaped Innocenti de Tomaso (probably not many will know this car) - in fact a 70 HP Cooper S with italian style bodywork (Bertone).
Wonderful post Jomini. Welcome to this excellent site. You will find no better for information on the new MINI.

This could fuel a whole new debate "Is the Innocenti Mini a real Mini"......:)

Your Innocenti mini like this one Jomini ?

Cheers

PS. Sorry for the multiple e-mails on this thread guys & gals - I know when you edit a post it sends an email to you - If your reading this, this is the final edit - had a bit of trouble with the picture :)

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: the spirit is still alive

rich said:

Hi there... A friend visiting from Frankfurt tells me parts of Germany have been -45C this winter:eek: :eek: :eek:
well, think it's not that hot around here as it's around Sydney but -45°C??? ...maybe on the summit of the Zugspitze in the middle of the night.

regards
jomini

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: the spirit is still alive

Basil said:

This could fuel a whole new debate "Is the Innocenti Mini a real Mini"......:)

Your Innocenti mini like this one Jomini ?

Hi Basil,
this one on the picture is one of these de Tomaso Turbos with the 3-Cylinder Daihatsu Engine, I think - never got the chance to drive one - could be funny.
I had the model before with the original 1275 cc Cooper Engine. Only the carb' was different: single SU6 instead of double SU2 - but this is not the worst layout.
The biggest problem on this cars is definitly the rust. They are completly gone from the streets of Europe - even in Italy, you hardly spot one anymore. Maybe someday I'll find one without rust in Australia and take him to germany :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts