MINI Cooper Forum banner

81 - 100 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
No, not at all. The front tyres had about 3mm of tread anyway so decided to inflate the one tyre until I had enough funds to get them both replaced (£300 :aargh:). I couldn't see any obvious signs of tyre damage / hole either but I did mount a curb at high speed (it was either that or have a head on with a lorry round narrow blind bend) a few weeks prior so maybe something to do with that.
You can buy a 4 non R/F's for less than £300 !!!! :confused: Another Con'd by a tyre dealer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can buy a 4 non R/F's for less than £300 !!!! :confused: Another Con'd by a tyre dealer.
Yeah I know, but I like the peace of mind of being able to get home or to a tyre dealer should I get a puncture without having to worry about getting my hands dirty. Can't think of anything worse than being stuck on the hard shoulder of a motorway in the pouring rain with a tyre puncture!

Perhaps when all 4 tyres need replacing I'll consider non R/F's + a can of tyre weld.

Going back on topic, I found the Dunlop Sport 01's slightly quieter than the Bridgestone's that were on it before. They seem less prone to aquaplaning and tramlining too but that could be due to having brand new tyres.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yeah I know, but I like the peace of mind of being able to get home or to a tyre dealer should I get a puncture without having to worry about getting my hands dirty. Can't think of anything worse than being stuck on the hard shoulder of a motorway in the pouring rain with a tyre puncture!

Perhaps when all 4 tyres need replacing I'll consider non R/F's + a can of tyre weld.

Going back on topic, I found the Dunlop Sport 01's slightly quieter than the Bridgestone's that were on it before. They seem less prone to aquaplaning and tramlining too but that could be due to having brand new tyres.

I recently changed the front two Dunlop Sport RF's at 11K miles on my June 07 build MCS. The centre tread was OK but the outer was worn, possibly because I was running at 32 psi all round. Bought 2 Dunlop RF's for £300 and am now running at 36 psi (2.5 bar), found a big improvement in handling and the grip wet or dry is excellent with no tramlining. I have found RF tyre pressures need to be checked more often than standard one's for some reason, but have not had any warning lights come on.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Horse's for courses but try getting one repaired, but they can be just like any other tyre, please remember that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i had a non run flat put on by mistake. It went! and i needed a tow truck!, other than that, the Euforia tyres have been fine for me, had a punture on the front left, caried on, and other than the sound, the car handled fine, i also get at least 20000 miles out of the fronts, and 50000 out of the rears! doing about 25000 miles a year! they do give a hard ride, but its a mini, not a Jaguar!:D the pirelli's are fine for me :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hankook run flats

Bought myself 2 new Hankook Run flats for the front of my MCS and first impressions are good, a much softer ride than the Pirelli euforia and grips well in the wet conditions we're having at the moment!

·
mini fiddler
85 Posts
I have been running Falken FK452s on 16 inch rims for the last year now and approx 10K miles and 32 psi front 30 psi rear

Excellent grip in the wet and of course in the dry. Good turn in and feedback from the tyre. In fact I have yet to lose control of the car despite entering bends at 20mph more that on previous runflats. Understeer much better than the skittish runflats and actually nice to have some oversteer from time to time

Wear seems very good too, backs still look like new and the fronts have worn marginally.
Overall very impressed and at 50 quid a corner an absolute bargain! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought 4 Conti Contact 3 SSR (205/45/r17)about 3 weeks ago from Kwikfit for around £120 each and immediately found the ride isn't as harsh as the old Dunlop runflats, in fact very impressed with them. Last week, had a screw on the front left and the wheel deflated quickly and the sensor went off. Glad I kept the runflat and had it repaired. The amazing thing was that went I got to the wheel shop, one of the chaps there saw the flat tyre and thought I did not have runflat! the alloy was about couple of inches off the ground. As it turns out that this generation of runflat are much improved and the trye wall aren't as stiff and the old ones. thought I would share this with you all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have been running Eagle F1 GSD3s for last 12,000 miles and found them big improvment over r/fs.

After eating the fronts have just switched to Proxes T1R and am v v impressed. Admittedly the F1s were shot, but Proxes are better than they ever were straight out of the box, much better traction away and turn in is better too I think. When rears wear down will be getting 2 more Proxes methinks.

Were even £5 a tyre cheaper than the F1s at current prices. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone recommend tyres for my Cooper S
currently running the original Dunlop Sport P1's 205-45 17 Run Flats
Fronts are more or less shot!

thought about ditching the run flats too - anyone noticed a big difference?

Falken 452 & Toyo T1-R's seem favourite - Anyone see any alternatives?

If you have recommendations on suppliers/fitting - much appreciated

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

I changed the two front Dunlop Run Flats on my July 07 MCS at 11,000 miles. Replaced them with the same tyres as I found they gave excellent grip wet/dry.......rather expensive though!! Might consider buying Continentals next time as a lot of car manufacturer's are fitting them as standard.

·
MaD and loving it
13 Posts

noticed a massive difference when I fitted proper tyres, started using TOYO, now fitted AVON ZZ3's there aint much difference, but alot better that runflats

·
UJOC no. GB067
270 Posts
Getting rid of the runflats (esp Pirellis) and the heavy OE wheels is probably the best change you can make to a MINI; popular replacement tyres incl the new Goodyear F1 asymmetrics, Avon ZZ3, Yokohama Paradas, Vredestein Ultracs, and Uniroyal Rainsport 2's, as well as Toyo Proxes T1R.

·
mini fiddler
85 Posts

On a 17 inch rim i would definately consider some yokohama parada spec 2
Very popular due to outstanding dry grip, and reasonable wet grip
Lots of minis running these at santa pod

Have always liked blackcircles for tyres and can select a local fitter for delivery

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
just ordered Falken 452.:D 215/40/17 to replace the scary runflats.
these tyres have an excellent dry + wet traction.

Falken FK452 at tyre reviews - the online tyre guide

£249 for 4 tyres delivered.:biggrin:
Cheap Tyres Discount Tyres & Japanese Import Car Parts Spares Tuning Performance Servicing Accessories ::
if you have replaced run flats with 215,40,17's won't your spedo now be wrong as runflats are 205 45 17? isn't it best to get a normal tyre the same size? sorry if thats a stupid question

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I just brought a used Mini Cooper 2006, it had 20K original miles.

Took it to Oil Change (Man that cost an arm and leg compare to my corolla I had before) and the dealer said I need 2 new tires and he quoted $500 to replace 2 run flat.

Question,

Can I replace OEM with Non-Run Flat (I understand Non Spare issue) and what does everyone recommend. I always used to go to Costco and get my new tires, can I do it with Mini Also?

I'm just getting used to Fun driving and will have some question later on,

Thanks in advance

81 - 100 of 224 Posts