MINI Cooper Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
We're expecting our first baby in February and we have put our Mini Cooper up for sale, I know how the Wife loves the car and she really doesn't want to sell it.

If we can fit a buggy and car seat in, for a reasonable price I may be able to convince her it is ok to keep the car.

How have people found it getting the baby in and out of the 3 door car?
We have a Carrera buggy that was given to us and it won't fit in the boot, I have looked through the thread but I don't want one that we have to take things off, as it will be hard enough work for my Wife as it is when I'm not there to help.

Thanks

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
It's easy, with parent and child spaces it's heaven. The MINI doors are huge and open very wide, the rear seats move and fold well so rear access is excellent.

Plenty of buggies fit in the boot without removal of wheels or things like that, but it is trickier to find one suitable from birth (that reclines), but still do-able.

We've gone from birth to four and never lusted after a bigger car. If you get a good bag to put all your baby stuff in (we're lusting after this one for baby number two) Baba Bing! Maternity Satchel - John Lewis and are organised the MINI is more than enough for one (or two) aduts and a little one.

It's only now baby number two is on the way we're looking at slightly bigger cars, but still it isn't a done deal as managing with one was really good.

(For what it's worth we had a BMW ISOFIX baby seat followed by a maxi cosi priori XP child seat, buggies were a M&P Aria followed by a Quinny Zapp).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Paul, Having seen the Clubman in the flesh, would you consider it suitable for a toddler and a baby, given that the main car is an estate. Not sure whether it is big enough for 2 adults and 2 babies ???

Apologies for all the questions, but new to all this, considered the mini before, until considering baby no. 2 .....

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Paul, Having seen the Clubman in the flesh, would you consider it suitable for a toddler and a baby, given that the main car is an estate. Not sure whether it is big enough for 2 adults and 2 babies ???

Apologies for all the questions, but new to all this, considered the mini before, until considering baby no. 2 .....
It's better than a regular MINI, but not by much. Lots of compromises.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, just thought I'd let you all know that I went to have a look at a new Clubman this afternoon, with M&P Prammette in tow. It fits in the boot at an angle without the flat load floor section installed. It was a small bit higher than the parcel shelf, but with a bit more time, it may go in.

In an ideal world if the prammette was about 2-3 inches shorter, it would fit no problem with the parcel shelf in place.

In general the car is a good bit more practical than the standard Mini, and access to the rear is very good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We're expecting our first baby in February and we have put our Mini Cooper up for sale, I know how the Wife loves the car and she really doesn't want to sell it.

If we can fit a buggy and car seat in, for a reasonable price I may be able to convince her it is ok to keep the car.

How have people found it getting the baby in and out of the 3 door car?
We have a Carrera buggy that was given to us and it won't fit in the boot, I have looked through the thread but I don't want one that we have to take things off, as it will be hard enough work for my Wife as it is when I'm not there to help.

Thanks
Our baby's due in March - we tried the Carrera in the boot of our Cooper and it fitted. I'm quite concerned now you say that yours doesn't fit. Is it the pro model?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am expecting in May next year and after a huge amount of deliberation (and the confirmation that after only 9 months of owning my R56 we would lose far too much money) the MINI stays!!

Now the "from birth" buggy search begins.....

M&P Luna - doesn't get good write ups.
Jane Carrera - can't find supplier (John Lewis do other models but not this one it seems)
Bugaboo bee - hideous and very flimsy looking
Confort bebe Loola - (allegedly fits) again doesn't get good write ups
Petite Star Zia - can't find local supplier

Do MacLaren, Britax or Silver Cross do anything does anyone know??

The 0mth or 0+mth car seat may not be a problem as my sister has a one year old, so will hopefully get hers (and no it hasn't been involved in an accident) just need to make sure I can get an Isofix base for it!!

Certainly rather mindblowing all this stuff!!

Thanks

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I am expecting in May next year and after a huge amount of deliberation (and the confirmation that after only 9 months of owning my R56 we would lose far too much money) the MINI stays!!

Now the "from birth" buggy search begins.....

M&P Luna - doesn't get good write ups.
Jane Carrera - can't find supplier (John Lewis do other models but not this one it seems)
Bugaboo bee - hideous and very flimsy looking
Confort bebe Loola - (allegedly fits) again doesn't get good write ups
Petite Star Zia - can't find local supplier

Do MacLaren, Britax or Silver Cross do anything does anyone know??

The 0mth or 0+mth car seat may not be a problem as my sister has a one year old, so will hopefully get hers (and no it hasn't been involved in an accident) just need to make sure I can get an Isofix base for it!!

Certainly rather mindblowing all this stuff!!

Thanks
Petite Star Zia is off sale at the moment as it infringes patents on another small 3 wheeler;):p

Maclaren is probably too long for you
Silver Cross discontinued the product that did fit, the Compact, but it was awful
Britax Vigour 4+ might fit if you take the wheels of it as its smaller than a Bugaboo

A bit more guidance might help, do you want rearward facing? Will you just be using the car seat for from birth (not recommended)? What is your price limit?

Others to consider:

M&P Aria
Quinny Zapp
Britax Verve +

But all of these are forward facing only

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks Rakey

Forward facing only is fine - they are in carrycot type ones for such a short space of time and the Baby Bjorn carrier is much cosier (although this will be a summer baby!!)

I'd rather not just use the car seat only for the from birth as the two hour limit is limiting. Until I travel home to my parents (The Lakes - oh well plenty of stops on the way!!)

Thanks for the tips on the others will have to check them out - are they from birth too (I think the Zapp is from 6 months)? Budget is reasonably flexible but I would like to have a buggy that sees them through to toddling if I can.

My sister has an M&P (something like the Pliko ones although she has had it for about 6 yrs now - too big for the MINI) which has been very good!!

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
We used Quinny Zap first and then went on to using the Silver Cross Pop, this buggy does fit when you take the front wheels off (quick release).
After almost a years of MINI ownership with a baby now 1 year old, I do miss my space and may go on to a bigger car in the new year...

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
We used Quinny Zap first and then went on to using the Silver Cross Pop, this buggy does fit when you take the front wheels off (quick release).
After almost a years of MINI ownership with a baby now 1 year old, I do miss my space and may go on to a bigger car in the new year...
The pop is not designed to be quick release front wheels, its designed so you put them on and leave them on, repeated removal of the wheels will wear the retaining clips over time, trust me, I developed that product when I was at Silver Cross;)

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
The pop is not designed to be quick release front wheels, its designed so you put them on and leave them on, repeated removal of the wheels will wear the retaining clips over time, trust me, I developed that product when I was at Silver Cross;)
Oh dear, cheers for the heads up, they are plastic reatiners on them so wondering if they might wear over time, tbh, I only use the pop once a week, my next car it will hopefully fit in better :p

Wow, I own a product that Mr Rakey developed, How much they cost to make-Always wondered the price up they make on them! :D

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Oh dear, cheers for the heads up, they are plastic reatiners on them so wondering if they might wear over time, tbh, I only use the pop once a week, my next car it will hopefully fit in better :p

Wow, I own a product that Mr Rakey developed, How much they cost to make-Always wondered the price up they make on them! :D
Now that would be telling, but then you have to consider the investment in time/tooling/design/shipping etc, margins are not anywhere near what you make of other consumables ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
We bought ours off ebay but found a local stockist via the Johnston prams website to go and have a play and physically put it in the boot!

The other one which fitted was the bebeconfort loola, but we much preferred the Jane.

Good luck - I'll let you know how ours is when we get our new arrival in March!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
We bought ours off ebay but found a local stockist via the Johnston prams website to go and have a play and physically put it in the boot!

The other one which fitted was the bebeconfort loola, but we much preferred the Jane.

Good luck - I'll let you know how ours is when we get our new arrival in March!!!
Is yours a first or second generation MINI?? The boot in the 2nd generation is a smidge bigger and I know there has been mention of it being a tight fit??

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Is yours a first or second generation MINI?? The boot in the 2nd generation is a smidge bigger and I know there has been mention of it being a tight fit??
And don't forget that if its first gen and you have a CD changer fitted you get even less space;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
We've got a second generation one - my husband said it fitted quite comfortably. Its a really nice pushchair too. We've bought the auto carrycot - not to use as a car seat, but so we can have a proper pram from birth.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.