MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,742 Posts
There was a similar thing years back when a limited run was done by Renault - the Clio Williams
It sold out so Renault made another batch

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
I remember the Renault Clio Williams. I think they ended up doing three batches of that limited edition car...

Seems like an odd thing to do on Fords part. They could have just made a seperate limited edition car, with a run of 100.

Nice Mustang.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Doesn't mean there won't be anouther version of the GP, just means they can't call it the same thing if its an R53. If its an R56 then I'm sure they could do it. If its an R53 just call it something else.... like Rover did time and time again with the 1.3 coopers

·
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!
7,669 Posts
Can't see it being a problem on the R56 when it comes to the end of it's tether:)

.......and the sooner that is - the better! :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
this is complete and utter rubbish could only happen in the USA. They have been plenty of limited edition cars like the M3 CSI the new focus RS and the new Renault R26 to name a few.

·
Overly excited!!
1,364 Posts
this is complete and utter rubbish could only happen in the USA. They have been plenty of limited edition cars like the M3 CSI the new focus RS and the new Renault R26 to name a few.
I didnt know any of those cars you listed were limited edition. either way, the Americans are complaining as Ford told them their car was 1 of 100.... then they went and made another 100 of them.

·
Oh good grief!
5,277 Posts
Next year may well be interesting!

Seeing as there's already been a mini 25, 30 and 35, will there be limited edition 50th anniversary model???

·
The real JT
2,787 Posts
The class action lawsuit on behalf of a New York man and other buyers of the 2007 Roush Stage 3 BlackJack vehicles claimed they paid a premium price of nearly $59,000 (30,000 pounds) last year because Ford advertised that only 100 would be made.

Drew Conner of Bardonia, N.Y., and at least 100 other people are members of the class seeking a jury trial and more than $12 million in damages.
Hmm. So that's at least 101 people taking action - Ford must have sold to some as its 1 of a 100 knowing that already more than 100 had already been made/sold.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
There was a similar thing years back when a limited run was done by Renault - the Clio Williams
It sold out so Renault made another batch
They got around that by the Willy 2 and 3 being based on the facelifted clio with a different shade of blue for the body work. These two later versions were not sold as limited editions as they didn't have numbered plaques.

Boy that was a great little car, other than the rust after 9 months:rolleyes::p

·
Registered
940 Posts
Peugeot did the same with the 1.6 Rallye - originally only 3000 were to be made & then they built a second run.....

In MINI's case a second GP in R53 form would have been dodgy but if they do an R56 GP then its a completely differetnt Car and wont be a problem. Unless they build a second run of those...... lol

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Ford have just stuffed us on the Transit too :(

We bought the Transit Sportvan - limited edition of 500 vehicles finished in Ford Racing Blue, all kitted out.

Now they've just launched the same van available in Black with Silver stripes :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I guess if BMW think that they can make money by developing and selling a 'special edition/GP' car towards the end of the life of the r56 by tweaking the handling, bodywork, lightening and tweaking the engine on the r56, then I guess they will.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Car manufactures have been making limited editions for years and will continue to do so just because a few cretins in the USA are sewing Ford they are not going to stop. Like I said in a earlier reply Renault have just made a limited edition (450 made 230 coming to the UK) R26 R which as no back seats like the GP and as just set the fastest record around the Nurburgring for a front wheel drive car. The new Focus RS will be limited edition but Ford have decided how many numbers they will Make

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
So 100 people paid $59,000 each thinking only 100 of these cars would ever be built, and are now claiming $1.2 million each in 'damages' (whatever that actually means? :confused: ) because there might be 200 of them?

Is there anything left in the US that you can't sue someone for ridiculous amounts of money for?

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ford have just stuffed us on the Transit too :(

We bought the Transit Sportvan - limited edition of 500 vehicles finished in Ford Racing Blue, all kitted out.

Now they've just launched the same van available in Black with Silver stripes :rolleyes:
Are they calling it the same thing?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts