MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago I saw a t.v. commercial for the new 2003 Toyota Corolla "S". The 'S' badge looked very similar to the Cooper S' and was also red in colour.

Acura also has several S-versions of their cars.

This makes me mad, and proves the point even more that all Japanese car companies do is copy others. :mad:

I know that the name "Cooper S" has been around for a long time, so no ricers out there better accuse Mini of copying THEM.

I just had to get that off my chest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
SomeBlondeGuy said:
This makes me mad, and proves the point even more that all Japanese car companies do is copy others. :mad:
hmmm.. gross generalization..? gt, r, and s have meant the faster counterparts of the same model for a long time, no? s for sport, usually... let's accuse all coupes of being copies of french two-door vehicles.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It happens far too often.

The Toyota Avalon seems to "borrow" many styling cues from Mercedes' S-class.

Don't get me started with Lexus.

I'm not at all being racist, but I'm sure other car buffs will agree with me in some way.

Maybe I just pay too much attention to details.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other car manufacturers "copying" the IDEA of the French's coupe is far different (and more innocent) than copying design cues and nomenclatures, both of which can be quite obvious to those who know their cars.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
The New Ford Focus ST170
Honda S2000
Porsche Boxster S
Mercedes S Class

The List is endless :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
S-class is acceptable.

It's a whole class, not just a version, with a little s badge.

As for Porsche, didn't they use "S" on some of their old models?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
The MINI's "S" heritage goes back nearly 40 years to the 1963 Mini Cooper S.

Settled. :)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
BruceK said:

You cant argue with that :) :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm with SomeBlondeGuy - sure, there's nothing particularly magic about a car's name including the letter "S", or a model number including an "S".

But there are a number of manufacturers who are releasing an "(insert model name) - S" at the moment, and a cynic like me is bound to think they're trying to compete or to cash in on the publicity surrounding the Cooper S release.

OTOH, let 'em. I know which one has class, style, looks, heritage and performance. And which ones have Land Of The Rising Sun mediocrity ....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Next time you get a chance, look at the S on the new turbo beetle. It looks exactly like the S on the cooper.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Names of cars are more or less used as marketing means in my opinion because if manufacturers actually used the chasis names, it wouldn't seem too attractive to buyers (the actual name of the S-class is W220 :eek: ). With the new trend of 'S' models, we all know there's only one real 'S' model out there and it's been around since 1963, there's no need for a badge to prove it's history and heritage.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
BruceK said:

Hey BruceK. For those of us born in 1963, "nearly 40 years" makes us feel old........Sorry, but this comment is just as relevant as this thread.........;)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Porsche was using S (Super) in the '50's.
I can understand S (sport, super), R (race), GT (Grand Tourismo or Touring), but some combinations don't conjure up much of anything. I saw a Taurus SEL, the other day. Toyota's hotter cars were called SE-5; what does that mean?
GSL? CST?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts