MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
13,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmmm this could explain some cars and oil pressure issues when hot on some cars ie engine running to high due to thermostat housing and temp sensor faults, peuegt citroen also have this as well so its widespread through all prince engines from the dates on this up date sheet

link below for info
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2012/SB-10046779-4871.pdf

the latest update on pas cars is a new piece of wiring plus a thermostat housing with a 4 pin connector on the thermostat body
below link latest housing and other link the wiring upgrade,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...653986?hash=item41d8e35f62:g:Q3UAAOSwgLlaXjxs
bi product of this not being right will effect many things with in fuelling 02 sensors and cat also a big impact on engine oil and how thin it gets with to much heat, bare in mind oil is tested to 100c the early cars run to 109c as cars get older this can have a impact also on how the vanos system works for timing, its all interconnected

· Registered
80 Posts
If I understand correctly what is stated in the document, it seems to imply that if your thermostat housing has a replaceable coolant sensor then you don't need the adapter and new coolant hose. It seems MINI came up with a "patch" to avoid replacing the thermostat housing. It's the coolant sensor that is faulty, but in some intermediate years it was cast-in to the thermostat housing so they would need to replace the whole thing. My 07 had a replaceable coolant sensor on it from the factory.

· Registered
13,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I understand correctly what is stated in the document, it seems to imply that if your thermostat housing has a replaceable coolant sensor then you don't need the adapter and new coolant hose. It seems MINI came up with a "patch" to avoid replacing the thermostat housing. It's the coolant sensor that is faulty, but in some intermediate years it was cast-in to the thermostat housing so they would need to replace the whole thing. My 07 had a replaceable coolant sensor on it from the factory.
that was does on one level i have also heard of psa cars that had the sensor done to then get told they need to bring back and have the hole thing changed as they has changed the way the thermostat works internally, trying to get any facts off mini them selves is like pulling teeth, by way same engine is psa cars as mini so would think both would be same, the latest update i believe was a recall on them so worth asking mini about it, some psa owners have had bills of £380 do change it all if not covered on recall

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey all! My daughter's 2012 Mini Clubman was having issues starting and the engine fan was running for a long time after car turned off. Mechanic says thermostat broken and it caused battery to burn out. He is quoting a price of $1100. to repair. Was there a recall on this part?? Does this price seem high ??
Thanks for your input!!
Nancy

· Registered
1,302 Posts
If in the UK, I don't think BMW/MINI did do a recall on this.

Since you're in the USA, I think there was a recall or some sort of mass complaint class action lawsuit or something, could be wrong but worth asking local dealer.

· Registered
13,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If in the UK, I don't think BMW/MINI did do a recall on this.

Since you're in the USA, I think there was a recall or some sort of mass complaint class action lawsuit or something, could be wrong but worth asking local dealer.

prob another bmw EU only thing i guess,, ie they dont recall stuff they wait until someone moans about it then blame the owner for not fixing it sooner lol,, bit like the timing chains etc, if psa can do the right thing you would feel so could bmw, but i guess its that old devide between the cars that are old and new cars under warranty at least it lasts until warranty has dropped off it will be fine for them,

· Registered
1,302 Posts
prob another bmw EU only thing i guess,, ie they dont recall stuff they wait until someone moans about it then blame the owner for not fixing it sooner lol,, bit like the timing chains etc, if psa can do the right thing you would feel so could bmw, but i guess its that old devide between the cars that are old and new cars under warranty at least it lasts until warranty has dropped off it will be fine for them,
I think here in the UK, most of us don't complain as we should and/or the companies make it very difficult for us to do so.

But in the US they have many cases of class action lawsuits brought on with common problems on the BMW/MINI i.e turbos, fuel pumps, aux pumps, timing chain etc... and even some parts are extended to 10 years warranty.

Here in the UK for most recalls needs to be considered dangerous to be considered for a recall like the aux pump.

Take the Takata airbag cases, here in the UK not big news but in other parts of the world lots and lots of recalls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.