MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having time on my hands due to Corona virus I decided to repair the leak on my wifes 2011 mini countryman (one). It looked to be coming from the much discussed thermostat housing so decided to replace it. On doing so I cracked the plastic pipe going to the water pump. This is amazingly inaccessible. Can anyone tell me if the pipe is secured anywhere? It seems fairly loose. Do I just try and pull it out? Have jacked and looked from underneath but can't see anything. A truly amazing design!!? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
yes its got 10 mm bolt on rear of engine block, remove the inlet manifold and while in there would do the water pump at same time if north of 6 years and 70k and antifreeze then that water system done for future proof ,, i always pull water pump off when fitting the plastic pipe just in case plastic cracks away from the rear of pump and damages it,, there is two times of link pipe one has a dog leg pipe off the under side of it and there is a straight out pipe,, link below
ask vendor if this correct one with your registration number

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's brilliant many thanks Mike1967 (incidently my name and year of birth)! Just saved me some heartache. May be back at you if can't get the manifold off! Is the water pump easy to access with the manifold off and replace?

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
always pull the water pump off and fit pipe with it off best advise,, the inlet manifold has a 6 13mm nuts access from top, and one bastard 10mm bolt under the inlet manifold i found drivers wheel off and reach in to it best approach without a two post lift,, its one of those will make you swear both ways ie use 1/4 drive socket and 2 inch extension bar,, you only need to pull inlet away from the head to see the 10mm no need to remove totally so can leave the other pipe work for tank breather and throttle body,,, while its all off the head worth checking the rears of inlet valves for carbon build up if turbo car as every 50,000 miles ish the carbon up and cause misfire issue,, if are bad its possible to clean them off with long scrape tools and egr cleaner or seafoam and just leave plugs out and before starting it crank engine over to blow any crud out the bores is possible,,, or order a wallnut blast from someone who does it best method but a lot more money,,

·
Registered
545 Posts
Just to cheer you up, inlet manifold removal, I would happily give up my 12 week self isolation furlough to anyone who could have done this for me :) but with time and something to stand on to save your back you'll be fine, it is a stretch over process

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
Just to cheer you up, inlet manifold removal, I would happily give up my 12 week self isolation furlough to anyone who could have done this for me :) but with time and something to stand on to save your back you'll be fine, it is a stretch over process
they put the same engine is citreon grand Picasso 2009 onwards think its hard on a mini those c4 Citroen's are a whole new level of find a reason to swerve the job lol if dont have a car lift

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got 10mm off without much trouble in the end. Found Clarke 10mm ratchet spanner was great. Wasn't a 10mm bolt securing the pipe and got pipe off. How easy is it to replace the water pump? Couldn't have got this far without your help so many thanks.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
water pump will need to remove aux belt, remove top engine mount, remove jockey wheel then the 10mm bolts that hold the coated pulley on to the water pump,, then the 10mm bolts all around water pump,,, when refitting it all i use some sealant on water pump gasket refit te pulley then refit the jockey wheel,,,,VERY IMPORTANT THERE S A PLASTIC EAR YOU NEED TO PULL AWAY FROM JOCKEY WHEEL ITS SPRUNG AND MUST BE PULLED RIGHT OUT AFTER FITTING THE JOCKEY WHEEL TO RELEASE PRESSURE ON THE COATED PULLEY,,, FAILURE TO DO THIS WILL STRIP COATING OFF PULLEY AND SOUND TERRIBLE IF DO,,,, mighty be worth fittinga new coated pulley as same time link below
Pulley Water Pump Wapu Mini Mini Countryman (R60) One COOPER S | eBay
jockey wheel for ref
jockey wheel new wheel if bearing noisy

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
added note 22m ring spanner needed for aux belt tensioner to rotate arm back to push its locking pin in to lock off pressure

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that information. Is there any easy way of connecting the pipe to the water pump? I have greased the pipe and the water pump but it doesn't seem to want to go. Is it just brute force? I didn't replace the water pump but am thinking of doing so just to see how hard it is to drive it in out of the car. Thanks again in advance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts