MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know the suggested warm up time on the 1.6turbo iesel.

Changed the thermostat on weekend and once warm it sits st 82 degrees and he mpg is good

But my wife dives 10 miles urban to work and her mpg is around 41

Any ideas how to speed up warm up? Is there only h thermostat or does the egr have one as well?

·
Registered
485 Posts
10 miles isn't very far to warm that engine up, especially in the cold weather. Unfortunately, diesels don't make good daily commuters for short trips, they are much better off doing long daily trips.

Best I can advise is to keep the car in a sheltered place overnight and then once started, drive off immediately using moderate speeds. You might want to keep the heater off until you've driven a little while as well, that'll keep the coolant temp up a bit I would think.

I'm pretty sure the EGR doesn't have a thermostat, but I could be wrong.

Any one know the suggested warm up time on the 1.6turbo iesel.

Changed the thermostat on weekend and once warm it sits st 82 degrees and he mpg is good

But my wife dives 10 miles urban to work and her mpg is around 41

Any ideas how to speed up warm up? Is there only h thermostat or does the egr have one as well?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

I know about the short trips but it gets long road trips every other weekend.

Car never sits idling straight off on drive.

Ill get her to try having the heaters off.

Her old Renault Clio 1.5dci would get o temp quickly and run 52-56mpg on same trips

Only asked bou egr thermostat as my e46 320d has both thermostats

·
Registered
485 Posts
No problem. If you're getting particularly bad mileage even on long, easy runs, you might want to consider getting the exhaust gasses analyzed. They can help detect sub-optimal fuel to air ratios which could be the cause of the poor MPG.

I'm not familiar with the Renault, but there is probably a weight difference between the two cars and the Renault has a smaller engine (was it turbocharged?).

It's possible the EGR on the 1.6D has a thermostat on the EGR, but I can't confirm. It was my impression it was controlled by the ECU which recirculated exhaust gasses based on exhaust gas temperature, engine load and coolant temp, but I could be wrong.

Is her daily commute hilly or flat? You should try running on a flat stretch with easy throttle openings. If everything is okay, you should be anywhere between 58 and 62 mpg I would think (that's in imperial gallons, not US). At least that's what I've been getting pretty consistently since I bought the car in 2009.

If it's a lot of short trip stop and start on a daily basis, then I could easily see her getting mpg's in the 40's to 50's.

Hi

I know about the short trips but it gets long road trips every other weekend.

Car never sits idling straight off on drive.

Ill get her to try having the heaters off.

Her old Renault Clio 1.5dci would get o temp quickly and run 52-56mpg on same trips

Only asked bou egr thermostat as my e46 320d has both thermostats

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Any ideas how to speed up warm up?
Is it not warming up an actual problem? For example, how long does it take when the outside temperature is just above 3 deg before the stop/start begins working? My SD (different engine) needs only a couple of miles to get warm enough that the stop/start cuts in and I can't see a D being wildly different.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill check the distance before stop start works .

I'm gonna plug the laptop in and take it for a drive see how long it takes to get to temp

·
Registered
640 Posts
Surely the stop/start isn't a good indicator as so many other variables can negatively impact it and stop it cutting in (out!)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts