MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just occurred to me whilst reading the "Cash or Finance" thread in General Discussion.

If your MINI has enough faults to warrant rejection, and you paid partially or fully by credit card (debit cards don't count) then you have extra protection under the CCA.

The card company will be jointly liable for the defective car so you can easily get you money back.

It's unlikely to apply to many people so I won't expand further. However, if you're thinking of buying a MINI and are concerned about possible serious faults, why not use your card, at least for the deposit?

When your dealer gets a "chargeback" from the card issuer, they'll certainly start to take any problems seriously.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Good point I paid £3500 on the card so that is helpful.

james

·
Astronaut
572 Posts
I was told by the salesman that there is a 3% charge if you want to use your credit card...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think some dealers will only take cards for the deposit. However, I believe you still get the joint liability protection, even if you only part-pay by card. At the very least, you can get your deposit back.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Red Cooper said:
I was told by the salesman that there is a 3% charge if you want to use your credit card...
Get yourself another dealer. Anyone that passes on the banks charges for the use of YOUR credit card, especially for a deposit does NOT deserve your business.

On the other hand a 3% impost is nothing if it protects you against a faulty MINI.

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Basil said:
On the other hand a 3% impost is nothing if it protects you against a faulty MINI.
It may not sound allot, but I think 3% is quite a bit. My car cost £14,830, so say I had paid for it using a credit card it would have cost me £445 for the privilege:eek:

LMB:D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
LMB said:

It may not sound allot, but I think 3% is quite a bit. My car cost £14,830, so say I had paid for it using a credit card it would have cost me £445 for the privilege:eek:

LMB:D
Bear in mind peteb had his MINI for 6 months whilst he tried to sort out various problems with his car including the "saggy" leather seats. He lost 3k on it's eventual sale.
half a grand would have been cheap insurance. Anyway I guess it all depends on the circumstances.

If a BMW salesman told me he wanted an extra 3% on top of the deposit on a $50,000+AU motor car , I'd walk out anywy.

cheers mate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts