MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many of you will remember the thread I had a couple of weeks ago about deciding between a MC and MCS. I pretty much decided on a MC until I drove an S today. (I only drove a MC before.) I didn't think it would be so much faster! Wow, it was such a blast. I drove a MC right afterwards and could really tell the difference. Now I'm back to square one. Sheesh. If I want an S, I have to order this week from out-of-state. If I buy a MC, I'm going to wait till late November and buy locally at Long Beach Mini for MSRP. :confused:

I should never have driven an S!!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
MaryFlute said:
I'm sure many of you will remember the thread I had a couple of weeks ago about deciding between a MC and MCS. I pretty much decided on a MC until I drove an S today. (I only drove a MC before.) I didn't think it would be so much faster! Wow, it was such a blast. I drove a MC right afterwards and could really tell the difference. Now I'm back to square one. Sheesh. If I want an S, I have to order this week from out-of-state. If I buy a MC, I'm going to wait till late November and buy locally at Long Beach Mini for MSRP. :confused:

I should never have driven an S!!!!!!
Same thing happened to me, now I want an S also. You know you will never be completely satisfied unless you get the S. So you know what you gotta do ;)

·
Need I say more?
36 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I figured I only needed a Cooper until.....I drove the S. I've had my MCS for 5 months and I love it!!!!
Only 1 problem :( ....I don't think I will ever be able to drive anything slower now. :)

·
kgouin
481 Posts
MaryFlute said:
Okay, so I have a question for all you MC owners. If money was no object, would you still have bought a MC? Or would you have gone for the S??
When I bought my MC I didn't even consider buying an S because I don't know how to drive a manual and I have no desire to do so. I guess there will be cvt MCS starting in January so maybe some day I will test drive one. I have never even been a passenger in a MCS so I can't answer if I would buy one or not. I do love my MC and it is fast enough for me but maybe my next MINI will be an S with cvt.....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kgouin said:
When I bought my MC I didn't even consider buying an S because I don't know how to drive a manual and I have no desire to do so. I guess there will be cvt MCS starting in January so maybe some day I will test drive one. I have never even been a passenger in a MCS so I can't answer if I would buy one or not. I do love my MC and it is fast enough for me but maybe my next MINI will be an S with cvt.....
kgouin,

Driving a manual is a blast!!! It's easier than you think too. Once you learn, you'll love it. You have much more control of the car too. :)

·
Mini fan
28 Posts
The answer to the question will depend on how much you enjoy driving. I owned a cooper for over a year and loved it.

I then sold the cooper and got a cooper s and I have l never once regretted the change after a year.

The cooper is a great drive, but the S is a better car.

·
1xCooper & 2xClubmans...
155 Posts
Hiya Maryflute! (bet you've never have guessed I'd put my oar in on this one!!! :rolleyes: ;) )

As you know, I had this very decision to make myself (hi-specc'd MC or mid-specc'd MCS - money was no real object in my decision), and I went for the Cooper option. I have had it for nearly a month now and I am still grinning every time I drive it! :D

I find that I am able to use more of the engine more of the time than I think I would in a S, and IMO this makes for more fun drive. There has been the odd occasion when I thought 'maybe I should have gone for the S', but they are getting increasingly few and far between, and despite them I have never regretted buying the Cooper. :cool:

However, when it comes down to signing on the dotted line, it is only ever going to be your car, so best to do whatever your heart tels you - and I get the impression from your post at the start of this thread that your heart realy lies with an S... ;)

Have fun choosing - keep me informed on what you choose. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
why spend ur hard earned money just to say "i coulda gotten an S"

just go for it!

u only live once and it's not THAT much more (especially if u were getting sports + suspension and xenons anyway)

·
Grumpometer: OFF SCALE
6,836 Posts
ordered an mc in sept 2002, delivered jan 2003 , didnt want to wait 6 months for an S.
But guess who ended up going into dealer in auh 03 to order an S, yup me...... no regrets.......(and it was delivered in sept 2003 ie in about 7 weeks )

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,173 Posts
MaryFlute said:
Okay, so I have a question for all you MC owners. If money was no object, would you still have bought a MC? Or would you have gone for the S??
Good question.

Money was an issue; I stretched my budget to breaking point to get the Cooper over the One. The S would have been impossible.

However, I prefer the more retro look of the Cooper (with ALL the chrome), it is lighter to drive (particularly the gearchange and the clutch) and easier on the license!

Given the choice again and money were no object the answer would be easy: I'd have one of each :D

Tigger

·
Registered
947 Posts
I own both. A 2004 MCS with nearly 13K troublefree miles and a 2002 Cooper CVT with 25K troublefree miles.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Tigger said:
Good question.

However, I prefer the more retro look of the Cooper (with ALL the chrome), it is lighter to drive (particularly the gearchange and the clutch) and easier on the license!

Tigger
You can have chrome on your MCS :D Look!

To be serious, though, we have one of each. The Mrs far prefers her MC to my MCS as an everyday drive - shes not interested in the speed. However, she doesnt say no to the odd blast :p

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm glad to have a Cooper and am even toying with the idea of trading it in on yet another Cooper. This car is plenty fast for me...I like the looks and I like the improved gas mileage. Its benign enough...but also deceptively potent.

If I wanted fast, I'd probably get a JCW MCS, but, you know, there's always gonna somebody who's even faster....a pretty slippery slope. It is possible to match a MINI with one's style of driving and that's what I've done. Of course, my Triumph Spitfire was no speed demon, nor was my Geo Metro, but both were fun to throw around...and the Metro got 44mpg!

Mary, its good you're agonizing over this...once you decide, you'll know which MINI fits YOU the best, and THAT equals love, baby!!!! :cool:

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
Happened to me also :p

I drive a PS/B MCS now - go figure :D

Go the S, you wont regret it ;)

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,173 Posts
HObzy said:
You can have chrome on your MCS :D Look!

To be serious, though, we have one of each. The Mrs far prefers her MC to my MCS as an everyday drive - shes not interested in the speed. However, she doesnt say no to the odd blast :p
I like it! Looks good to me...

Tigger

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.