MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Has anyone had a chance to play with Hill Start Assist yet?

Does it work? Does it have any side-effects when trying to pull off - or do the brakes go off the instant you put your foot on the accelerator?

Any comments from people in the know will be appreciated...

Thought I'd have had a chance to try it for myself but now, but the upcoming MCS has been delayed twice so far, and I won't really be too surprised on Friday if I find out it's been delayed again :rolleyes:

·
<')))<
2,019 Posts
yup, it is pretty cool. come up to a junction/lights/whatever, put foot on brake pedal to stop and put foot on clutch. keep foot on pedals. when you then want to pull away again, release the brake pedal and you get 2 seconds before the brakes disengage to get to the car moving. if you manage to get the car moving before the 2 seconds are up, it releases the brakes, if you dont your car rolls back.

it also seems to do it whenever you stop too from what i've found.
so far, it's been great. some of the roads in Southampton are on stupid hills, and so far i've not rolled back anywhere !

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one - cheers for that... looking forward to trying it for myself. (And thanks for uploading the user manual too, which is what reminded me about Hill Assist!) :smile:

·
MINI MAD in IRELAND
572 Posts
Test drove a Cooper from 'Ned78' a couple of weeks ago and tried out the Hill assist.
Very strange feeling! Like the hand of God holding you LOL
Would be very handy alright.
Fergal.

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
Bit like the Subaru hill clutch then?

Remember teaching the wife to drive stick, this would have been nice. Might save me some tyres - I tend to go for the foot on both gas and brake at once, give gas, and pop clutch style myself - leaves a bit of rubber on the street from time to time.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Bit like the Subaru hill clutch then?

Remember teaching the wife to drive stick, this would have been nice. Might save me some tyres - I tend to go for the foot on both gas and brake at once, give gas, and pop clutch style myself - leaves a bit of rubber on the street from time to time.
that will help the clutch last a while & tyres

·
I'm Behind YOU !!
331 Posts
sorry to say , i had a smart fortwo with it on, and it works really great,

i wonder if you are allowed to use these cars in a driving test, as you would not roll back on a hill start, that is if they still do that on your test.

·
Overboosting.....
3,392 Posts
If you have DSC is it possible to switch this part of it off?

Only reason I ask is I assume as it holds the brakes on for two seconds it would do this regardless of the gradient the car is sat on? Therefore it would slow you down as you move away?

This wouldn't bother me too much but for the people that take their car to do timed 1/4 mile runs wouldn't this system cause a problem?

·
Making it add up
847 Posts
I played with it with the front wheels half way up a speed bump and it seems to just hold the brakes on momentarily. And it does not seem to work in reverse if you face down hill and want to back up, so far as I could tell. I not sure I need it but there seems to be no downside

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
16 Participants
Trumphie
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing