MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
<')))<
2,019 Posts
i noticed also today that if you come up behind a car and apply your brakes so you come to a stop, and then IMMEDIATELY take your foot off the brake, the hill assist does not engage it seems.

it only seems to engage when you put your foot on the pedal and then leave it there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hill-assist takes some of the fun out of driving. Nothing like waiting at a red light on a hill, with a Mack truck inches from your back bumper!

I could see a potential annoyance with hill-assist when trying to back into a parking space in neutral when on an incline.

Speaking of holding one's position on a hill, right foot on both the gas and brake works OK, but takes a little practice. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the easiest method for beginners to master hills:
* pull the handbrake (keeping your thumb on the release)
* gently release clutch and press gas

When you feel the car has engaged release the handbrake and off you go without having rolled back.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Speaking of holding one's position on a hill, right foot on both the gas and brake works OK, but takes a little practice. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the easiest method for beginners to master hills:
* pull the handbrake (keeping your thumb on the release)
* gently release clutch and press gas

When you feel the car has engaged release the handbrake and off you go without having rolled back.
If I'm not mistaken, this is how most people are taught over here.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
StaticInnerClass? You must be spending too much time with Java and not enough with your MINI! :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
StaticInnerClass? You must be spending too much time with Java and not enough with your MINI! :p
Not sure if anyone would have picked up on that in these forums. :) It's an obscure enough username that I can use it for any forum without worry of availability.

Plus, it's the Java that has paid for the Mini!

Cardo said:
If I'm not mistaken, this is how most people are taught over here.
Over here ~90% of cars have automatic transmissions, thus using the hand-brake on a hill is more of a discovery than a method which is taught.

·
It keeps getting faster!
26 Posts
I think Hill Assist is a great feature. I've grown so accustomed to it that I now have to be careful when driving other cars not to take off from a hill without the handbrake! Works well in reverse too. However, I have noticed that it can't seem to detect a very slight gradient and allows roll back in this instance - could be rather embarrasing!

Unsure if this is a fault or not, but surely you shouldn't have to estimate the precise angle of the hill before deciding whether to use the handbrake or not. Car in for a recall (bolt torque somewhere on the exaust system) in a week or two, so I might mention it then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It works in reverse too.

I found it tricky putting it on some ramps to do the 1st oil change... the car nearly over shot the end. What I didn't try was turning off DSC!

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry to say , i had a smart fortwo with it on, and it works really great,

i wonder if you are allowed to use these cars in a driving test, as you would not roll back on a hill start, that is if they still do that on your test.
They still do it on test and Yes, it says it's fine to use it on DVSA site

21 - 29 of 29 Posts