MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Is over to the dark side
515 Posts
I am inerested in replacing my 18" R95 JCW alloys with 17" R90 composite alloys. The issue i have is the genuine version costs £1800 and the replicas are around £800, both with tyres.

Do you all think it's worth paying a premium for genuine products? Unsure of the quality standards that genuine alloys go through compared to replicas?

·
Registered
460 Posts
the OEM R90's cost as much as they do as they are made by BBS for mini, no cheep after market rep is going to match BBS for quality, as the R90's are proper 2 piece split rims, while the replicas are just one piece with fake bolts glued on.

(its worth stating that BBS's none split rims are much cheaper and look amazing and are the same price as the replicas)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
As James said, you really can't touch the genuine R90s for quality. There's no need to spend £1800 though, firstly Wollastons (Northampton) will sell you set currently for £1200 (visit their sponsor forum).

If you don't want to spend that much again, bide your time, and wait for a 2nd hand set to come up. That's what I did with my previous convertible - I waited, and eventually picked up a set for £450 - spent £200 having them tidied up, and they looked awesome :D

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
I've asked this before, but am still none-the-wiser... what's the advantage of having split rims? Is it purely a style thing, or does it confer some sort of weight, integrity, servicing (split the rims to fit tyres easily?), or other functional benefit? :confused:

All the best,
Andrew.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've asked this before, but am still none-the-wiser... what's the advantage of having split rims? Is it purely a style thing, or does it confer some sort of weight, integrity, servicing (split the rims to fit tyres easily?), or other functional benefit? :confused:

All the best,
Andrew.
strength, it means the individual parts can be machined rather than cast (although the middles in some are cast) but the 'rim' is machined giving it much more strength, but some cast rims are also very strong (speedline, compamotive) its race technology that has made it to the road, were rims were developed to cope with the stress of racing and rallying (its why compamotives can be quite heavy)

But because the individual parts have been machined and bolted together it gives the rim a much greater structural integrity, your also right about servicing as if the lip of the rim is buckled but the center section is ok only the lip needs replaced.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
personally i would get replicas unless your plan on racing or something, if you dont want replicas then maybe 2nd hand off ebay..i have replicas and they're nice and light but look just as good as the originals

1 - 6 of 6 Posts