MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
ex GP 0100
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having picked up my new car on a Saturday, I found out a couple of weeks ago that on the Monday whilst driving to the dealer to correct a couple of faults I was flashed by a camera - giving me my second set of 3 points.

However, does anyone know about positioning of cameras (Gatso) vs where legal limits take effect when changing say from 30 to 40 and vice versa. I went back to the scene last week. Take a look at the attached (hopefully) - it shows that I was nabbed in a 30 doing 37 just before reaching the 40 zone (I thought it was 40 all along, and could see the sign for 40 infront of me). However, when going in the opposite direction, the camera is effectively positioned before reaching the 30 sign (still in the 40 zone?) so in theory can you have different speeds at the same location, depending upon the direction you are travelling.

Make any sense? Views?

Attachments

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
When I got nicked (in the uk) I learnt that if a road has streetlighting and doesn't have a speed limit sign, it means it's a 30mph limit.

Even if you are on a dual carriageway, with a barrier in-between, with national route signs and out of town. Which is where I got done for doing 75mph. :(

Luke

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
Sorry to say this, but, until you actually pass the 40 sign, you should only have been doing 30. Even though the camera on the opposite side is in the 40 limit, they are set up accordingly.
Just hope there was no film left or any at all.

·
Official Pimp of Mini2
4,001 Posts
Invest in a Road Pilot like I did I have never had a ticket :D
;)

Pic below, I got it from Mikethemini its about the size of 50p and is GPS based, I also have a lazer detector just under my windmirror it has saved me many a time...

·
ex GP 0100
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Live too far from Mikey, but am defo interested in an install now. Anyone got any recommendations from Thames Valley?

Only other option that I contemplation on the ticket was to let my wife take it and the points - but then realised that the top was down, and so if someone actially looked at the picture, someone may notice that with my bald patch, it was not a lady driver !

·
Mini2 saved my life
412 Posts
Bummer jeffer's!! I got caught last friday just outside cheltenham,
my own fault, I was just overtaking in my MCS and looked up and there were the rozzers perched on a bridge, speed gun pointing straight at me, quick look at the speedo and I was at 95 :eek: :eek: I knew it straight away, next thing I know there's flashing light's in my rearview!! Your nicked my son!!
My licence has been clean for years and then a month ago I get MCS and now look what's happened!!
To be fair the police were pretty cool, they were asking all about my car as I was sat, convict stylee in the back of the squad car.

Anyway upshot now is I'm driving everywhere granny style trying to keep within speed limits.
Darn it! I'm so bored!!!

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Juslow said:
Bummer jeffer's!! I got caught last friday just outside cheltenham,
my own fault, I was just overtaking in my MCS and looked up and there were the rozzers perched on a bridge, speed gun pointing straight at me, quick look at the speedo and I was at 95 :eek: :eek: I knew it straight away, next thing I know there's flashing light's in my rearview!! Your nicked my son!!
My licence has been clean for years and then a month ago I get MCS and now look what's happened!!
To be fair the police were pretty cool, they were asking all about my car as I was sat, convict stylee in the back of the squad car.

Anyway upshot now is I'm driving everywhere granny style trying to keep within speed limits.
Darn it! I'm so bored!!!

What points and fine did you get for doing that Speed?

·
Mini2 saved my life
412 Posts
interceptor said:
What points and fine did you get for doing that Speed?
I was very lucky!! only got standard on the spot fine of £60.00 and three points.

I was very polite and apologetic which obviously worked!!

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
jeffers said:
Having picked up my new car on a Saturday, I found out a couple of weeks ago that on the Monday whilst driving to the dealer to correct a couple of faults I was flashed by a camera - giving me my second set of 3 points.

However, does anyone know about positioning of cameras (Gatso) vs where legal limits take effect when changing say from 30 to 40 and vice versa. I went back to the scene last week. Take a look at the attached (hopefully) - it shows that I was nabbed in a 30 doing 37 just before reaching the 40 zone (I thought it was 40 all along, and could see the sign for 40 infront of me). However, when going in the opposite direction, the camera is effectively positioned before reaching the 30 sign (still in the 40 zone?) so in theory can you have different speeds at the same location, depending upon the direction you are travelling.

Make any sense? Views?
Exactly the same thing happened to me! :(

Camera in the same sort of position, but it was a sneeky unmarked car one!! :rolleyes:

I was doing 37 mph because I thought it was a 40 limit!

No matter how I pleaded, I got the £60 speeding tax and 3 points! :confused:

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
Juslow said:
I was very lucky!! only got standard on the spot fine of £60.00 and three points.

I was very polite and apologetic which obviously worked!!

I wouldn't say that was lucky... you got fined and 3 points

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
yeah could of been alot worse-Anything over 90 you could of gone to court-Like I did.
I got fined £180 + Court costs and 5 points for doing 98mph.
Seems to differ though with different constabularies.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
s`all about company insurance!!! european law - article 6 - POW POW!!! CLACK CLACK!! :D

and they say the bizzle - chats BIZZLE!!!!! :confused:

·
Official Pimp of Mini2
4,001 Posts
jeffers said:
Live too far from Mikey, but am defo interested in an install now. Anyone got any recommendations from Thames Valley?

Only other option that I contemplation on the ticket was to let my wife take it and the points - but then realised that the top was down, and so if someone actially looked at the picture, someone may notice that with my bald patch, it was not a lady driver !
I fited it myself it go's into the cig lighter and I have hidden my wires around the rubber of the door frame you cannot see any wires ;)
Real easy to do 15 min job if that...

·
Enjoying Married Life!
501 Posts
Road Angel!

I've got one of these. Lots of money but it's deffo saved me. I lost my licence three years ago for speeding (own stupid fault, thought I was invincable, blah blah, 4 lane motorway no traffic, blah blah anyway). Constant GPS verified speedo and warns you about blackspots, schools as well as camersa and lasers. Fantastic!. I've just started selling these as part of my job and I can honestly say that I 100% back them. Plus you have the added benefit of Tiff Needell telling you if you're approaching cameras.

nc

·
ex GP 0100
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys - will swallow it as a good corporate citizen. Am dealing down a guy I've found who is selling a new RoadAngel2 he no longer requires for £270.

My first points were for 94 on the M1, by an unmarked Impreza near Donnington. Got away with std 3 points and £60, but the bugger was that he just kept saying he was there to catch all the bikes there for the GP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts