MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have recently purchased a 2002 manual Mini Cooper in Cosmos Black. I drove it back the day I bought it 200 miles, but its MOT ran out before I could get it sorted out properly.
The last thing I am concerned about is the famous three warning lights, ABS, Braking system and ASC. I thought this would be like my previous automatic Mini Cooper, cured by renewing speed sensor(s). I have changed all four to no avail. I have checked any fuses that seemed pertinent, all OK. I have checked the area around the ABS pump for cut wires, and similarly the area around the centre console. [Removed the trim, DSC module and connection looked fine.] The battery is recent. I have done a reset (several times) via reset 21.
I have bled the brakes, made sure there is pplent of brake fluid, etc.
I have a Streetwise OBD2 checker, but this never has detected any codes on this car.
What should I do next? Is ther a way to test the ABS pump or anything else before I buy anything else? I would really like to solve this asap. Last time I drove the car it worked fine, it is just really annoying having these warning lights.
Car is RHD, UK car.
Thanks in advance, Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. Do you mean I should switch pedals, or what do you mean? Sorry if I'm being dumb.

·
Registered
519 Posts
another cause is steering angle sensor, believe this is at the lower end of the column on a fist gen. need proper diagnostics as you are throwing money away here

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Scudder. What do you recommend for diagnostics? I saw a recommendation for Autocom CDP+ on here, but when I searched I think the poster may be using a cheap copy as the genuine ones are very expensive. Creator C310+ seemed a more sensible price. Are they able to diagnose this kind of problem?

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you have a one off problem and don’t want to invest then pop into any garage with diagnostics otherwise the autocom plus from ebay is good even if it is a copy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the copy ones have been removed from ebay. I couldn't find anything for less than £330 used on ebay.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Your alternative is Aliexpress and get it direct from China, search their site. Obv not sure what you’ll get but they do have feedback

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Scudder.
Onebutta, I had a look where you suggested. Looks like a brake line goes into the back of the sensor? Anyway, I pushed on that and it seemed to engage more positively. Couldn't start car though to see if it was fixed. Battery had gone down, I believe due to ipod cable hooked up to radio. Recharging, will let you know if you were right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:
Did not seem to be brake pedal switch.
I found the 'wave washer' on the floor a couple of weeks ago. I did not know what it was at the time, but it seems to be connected to the steering angle sensor. It should not be on the floor, that's for sure. I will investigate this tomorrow. Thanks Scudder.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Creator C310+ will pick up steering angle sensor and can erase the code.

Decent unit for 50 quid. Communicates using BMW standard rather than generic OBD2.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, you really need to get the c310 or Carly so you can drill down and get the codes that are causing the lights.

in my case it was low brake fluid, even though it didn't actually look low.

dan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I have a C310+. I checked the codes: 5DA0 front right wheel sensor, 5D90 front left wheel sensor, SE16 CAN connection to instrument cluster, 5DF5 internal fault, control unit.
I cleared all the codes. I checked again, only the last one came back.
So I believe there is something wrong with the ABS pump. It is a DSC version, part number 6760085.
I plan to remove the pump and see if I can fix it.
The video I've linked is for re-soldering inside the box.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts