MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
55 plate jcw r53. Think I've got piston problems. It has a bit of history of this. . Engine light and Traction control light on and in limp mode. Code P0303. Plugs and coil pack seem ok. Looks like replace or major rebuild. Is the bottom end on a jcw r53 the same as a std r53 cooper s?

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
55 plate jcw r53. Think I've got piston problems. It has a bit of history of this. . Engine light and Traction control light on and in limp mode. Code P0303. Plugs and coil pack seem ok. Looks like replace or major rebuild. Is the bottom end on a jcw r53 the same as a std r53 cooper s?
do the basics first compression test, oil pressure test, diagnostics scan live data run as well see what you have before jumping to anything seen so many people not start the process at the beginning to spend time and money to then after do what should always be done in the first place ie the basics above,
on the compression test take readings with fully charged battery crank for same amount of time, i use 30 seconds each, if one or more low then add some engine oil to that plug hole this will show you if its rings or above, ie if add oil and compression jumps up then its rings, if it stays same its within head gasket or valves or might be a big hole in a piston, can use tiny usb camera to look at pistons,
oil pressure test to be done first off cold, then engine hot so fan kicks in first on idle then at 3k revs, your looking hot with revs 40-60psi on very good one, if on idle 5psi its bad oil pump or and bearing ware,
if all the above comes back ok then its diagnostics and work out whats doing what

1 - 3 of 3 Posts