MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to humph for answering my first question, here goes another one. The reason I was wondering about my tire pressure sensor is because I'm trying to figure out a noise my 02 Mini Cooper S is making and thought it could be coming from low tire pressure.

When I'm going at slow speeds, doesn't matter if I'm turning or going straight I hear a thumping sound, more like something is rubbing. I've had both front and rear brakes replaced and the noise still exists. Does anyone have any idea what this is coming from?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks to humph for answering my first question, here goes another one. The reason I was wondering about my tire pressure sensor is because I'm trying to figure out a noise my 02 Mini Cooper S is making and thought it could be coming from low tire pressure.

When I'm going at slow speeds, doesn't matter if I'm turning or going straight I hear a thumping sound, more like something is rubbing. I've had both front and rear brakes replaced and the noise still exists. Does anyone have any idea what this is coming from?
I had the same problem on my cooper 05, When i was going really slow it wud make a thumping noise like something was rubbing. I'm not saying this is the same problem but it sounds simular. It was because there was a very small dent in my alloy where I had hit a pothole. When I changed my alloy, the noise went. Also there was no light on my tyre pressure or ABS light was not on. Maybe this might help or is something you haven't thought of!

The noise could only be heard when all the weight was on the wheels on the road and not by spinning the wheel on the ramp. Maybe listen really carefully as to what side the noise is coming from and have a look at the alloys on a ramp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never gave that a thought. Being told by my Mini Dealer it could be the Rotors. I replaced the brakes about 6 wks ago but not the rotors, they only rotated them.

·
Noob
247 Posts
You sure it's not just tyre noise? There could be a small lump on the tyre from lack of rotation, which can cause tyre sound which is more noticable when going slow and coming to a stop?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the noise is coming from my Goodyear Run Flats that were put on last spring. We have checked all options possible. Nothing visible on the tyres so it has to be something inside the tyre. Taking them back to my dealer to have them check for defects.

Anyone out there had any problems with the Goodyear Run Flats? No more Run Flats for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts