MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I've read a wee bit on getrag gearboxes in the 170bhpMCS making a ticking noise. Ernie started doing this after only 500miles. He's now on 2000miles and the noise is not changing. It goes away when you depress the clutch.

Took him to JC's in Aberdeen last week and the service guy had a look at it and basically said that it was a characteristic of the gearbox and they all make that noise. I asked him to show me it in another and neither of the 2 MCS's he tried did it. Surely a noise like this shouldn't be a characteristic - it's embarrassing sometimes!

It really sounds bad sometimes so I made them get the regional manager to come and have a look at it - still awaiting the call to say when.

Thinking that replacing the gearbox is a bit drastic as surely the factory one should be installed better therefore should I just put up with the noise? Anyone else been to JC's about this same problem?

Thanks,
G2

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
Mine does it. Service Advisor couldn't hear it.

·
Another Happy Owner
204 Posts
i took my 05 to the dealer to have some other things looked at but pointed out the noise as well. Had a technician look at it and told me that he couldnt reproduce it during his road test.

at first i thought it was a throwout bearing (?)
i read it somewhere in the forums... or maybe i googled it... i dont remember...
but i was told it wasent. hmmm~ frustrations.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My '05 has the ticking noise, it does go away when the clutch is depressed. When I took it to the dealership, they said that they heard it too and he (the service advisor) suspected it might be the throwout bearing. He said it shouldn't be a concern unless it starts getting much worse. I figure hey, it's on a 50,000 mile warranty, and I'm only at 1300 miles. If the bearing is failing, it's going to do it way before 50k, so it'll be caught anyways.

I have noticed that if I "play" with the clutch pedal a bit I can get the noise to disappear, even in neutral with the clutch out (try tapping the clutch pedal slightly with your foot, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 in then release). Not so good for the clutch, but it makes me wonder what's going on in there. Might be a bad bearing, could be a bad release pin, maybe a clearance issue between the pressure plate and the housing? I dunno. Any other theories?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have this same problem on an 05 MCS, spotted it at 144 miles, sounds more like a chattering noise than a ticking noise, infact i think a sewing machine noise would be more accurate. Not happy at all, very noticeable at idle and very embarassing in a brand new car in this price range, will let you know how i get on with the dealers.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It is the throw-out bearing

It is the throw-out bearing that's making the ticking noise. Ask them to change it out for you. If they can't hear it, position them so they can. I went through all of this with my service adviser. He finally admitted he can hear it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mine has the same noise, also very hard to shift to first gear.
the service adviser, the machanic and the sales all told me it is normal.
i think they all lie about the problems with the gearbox or the clutch.
trying to get the bmw regional manager the test drive it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts