MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Mini Cooper
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I replaced the timing chain tensioner on my '05 Cooper R50 early this year, and it certainly fixed the death rattle. It still has a slight rattle on a cold start-up, but soon disappears, and can't be heard at all when the engine is nice and warm.

My question is, could this be due to a lack of oil pressure when the engine is cold? I have an oil leak in the engine (always assumed it was the CPS O-Ring), but I figure an oil leak somewhere else could be directly affecting the oil pressure on the tensioner, and I should fix that first?

Many thanks,
Garry

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
when oil is cold its thicker so takes long to get pumped around the engine so has a high pressure but reduced flow. worth doing a oil pressure test on it, 30psi to 60pise is good. also would change oil every 10k max,,, also some of the cheaper chain tensioners on line are rubbish would only fit febi bilsteen or FAI or genuine one better still, as for oil leaks effecting pressure if that were the case you would be out of oil in no time, most likely is valve stem seals ie burning oil, also oil pump and cooler seals leak with age as will both crankshaft oil seals very common,, its worth putting a can of oil stop leak in the oil this will make the rubber go soft again after 500 miles ish link below

have seen many good results with that stuff,,

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well I don't have a R50 I got the R56. there are a few things you could check. No. 1 is the bolt to the oil pan I use that orange gasket sealant on that (just a touch).
In the end my car has close to 1000 miles sense the rebuild. It sounds like a havoc ac unit because everything is so new that I put in it(no knocking no sounds). It might be your lifters I put new ones in mine. Your guides are all new obviously. Last thing is timing Like when I did my final timing with help from everywhere. I took my own logic and the fact I was the only one to own the car(so I saw where the timing was before I rebuilt the engine) and I changed the timing chain well before it needed to be. And timed the engine myself using to cam lock sets and grinding the insides one one set and using the other cam lock set to test after rotation. Like how nascar does aerodynamics with templates.
In the end it is probably lifters. And the plastic oil wiper ring that comes on the mini's. I have MAHL rings now and wow that compression it really winds out now.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
massive difference between the r56 and r50 mini totally different engines cars might look the same ish but are two totally different cars,, also the r50 number cylinder it as aux belt end where the r56 engines are at gearbox end

·
Registered
2005 Mini Cooper
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys. I literally want a whole week to pull it all apart and have a good play with it!! :D Timing chain set was changed a couple years back, and the new tensioner is Febi Bilstein, so I'll gradually change stuff and see what makes a difference. Car runs well, just has those niggles that need ironing out.

It can go through oil like mad, I can do a harsh 300 mile drive and go through at least a litre, easily. It's been that way for years. Will definitely pick up some of the Stop Leak.

On a side note, I had a play in my mate's R53 yesterday - bit different pulling off! :D

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
on the r50 and r53 and r52 tritec engines most common for oil leaks around the chain tensioner area is the oil filter housing and the oil cooler that is bolted to housing with torx screws link below for what it looks like
oil cooler
below link new rubber seal for housing to block
new housing from us
secondhand housing uk
if you car is r50 then its a different housing but you can add the better housing with cooler to r50 plug and play

·
Registered
2005 Mini Cooper
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Tritec engine has more leaks than a Welsh allotment.
Hahahaha, I remember when I took it in for its first service, and the mechanic said “You’ve got an oil leak in the engine” and I said “where?”, and he said “everywhere!!!!!!“

1 - 8 of 8 Posts