MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to tint my coopers window, but the question is how many to tint, :confused: :confused: and where to get it done:-
Mini Doncaster quoted £190 for the rear and 2 back side windows.
mini scunthorpe quoted £450 for the whole car.
Does anyone know someone close to me at Doncaster.
If I don't get it done at the mini dealer does it void the warrenty of the car(I know this is a stupid question) :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
549 Posts
offically only rear and side windows can be tinted to any degree, a light tint to fronts is permissable, but if your face cannot be made out under normal lighting conditions you may fall foul of Mr Plod, Screens should be clear so that a certain type of speed camera:mad: can photograph the driver as well as register the number plates.
As for cost, it depends on the method of tinting among other factors, some are applied as film to the the glass, others are spray coatings Make sure its UV stable and guaranteed for at least 5 years.

Oh and I can't answer the warranty question, but if you have a glass replaced it might not match, thats something to consider too.

·
///M Power
5,066 Posts
I'm not sure about getting quotes from dealers... although they will probably just get someone lese to do it anyway, but I got a quote from pentagon... who I believe are uk wide... They gave a quote of £350 for the car or £100 for the front two windows... I was thinking of getting the factory darkened glass, but in the end couldn't make up my mind and settled for getting the job done at a later date.... I know that Rakey on here has the light smoke tint all round by pentagon... although I'm not sure how much he paid... but from the pics it looks good.

I believe on of the things to be careful of is around the perimeter of the window, where the there is the black trim and the black dots... some films find it difficult to bond to this area and don't look great. I've never come accross the spary on method... but over here in N.I., we don't have the same choice. I'd be very interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers,

CooperID

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi,

Ive had the windows on my car tinted, and it looks great, I think it suits all cars. You get a bit of extra privacy, it blocks harmful UV rays, and it looks damn cool.

If I were you I would go for the film rather than having the glass dipped, as you have the added security of it, because it becomes like a wind screen. So if anyone tries to break into your car, god forbid they dont, the glass will hold together and not just cave in and cover your car in glass. Im not too sure about a place that you can get it done but I got mine done by a company called Auto Shades

http://www.autoshades.co.uk

They have a branch in London and one in Manchester, and they only charged me £200 to do the whole car, so it was worth the drive for me, worked out the cheapest option. And you get a lifetime guarentee with them! :D

And to answer your questions, they dont viod your warrrenty and legally speaking you are not allowed any tint on the front doors at all. But the old bill wont do much about it if you do, just some place wont actually fit it for you.

·
///M Power
5,066 Posts
TheSuperMario69... How good a job did they do?? I'm particularly interested in the edge and if you can notice that it's a film that has been applied. I really want to get it done, but I want to make sure it is a really good job... even if it costs a bit more. Do you have any close up pics??

Cheers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
the finish is really good, you cant even notice the film in on the front windows, the back you can notice slightly, thats cause of the dot matrix around the glass, you notice it a bit there. I will post some pics when my digi cam starts workin again, or i buy a new one, lol! The good thing though is the lifetime warrenty, and not only that, if you aint happy with the job they have done you can take it back to them and they will do it again! They are worth contacting

·
///M Power
5,066 Posts
Cheers... they sound very good!!... I'll have to give them a call and see if they have a local branch. Pics would be appreciated... but don't buy a new camera just for them!!! ;) :D

·
Happy Happy Joy Joy
130 Posts
Beware the insurance man if you have front tints – they may use it as an excuse not to pay any claim, on the grounds that your car was not “road legal”.

·
///M Power
5,066 Posts
cheers for the info... Although I should be ok since there is no law against front tints in Northern Ireland :D .... I think it should be ok though as long as their not too dark....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for your help, after looking on the internet, I asked my neighbour if he knew anyone who tints windows(he works on cars) Then I got told he does them :eek: :eek: :eek: I asked him to quote me £200 for all the car except the front one. So I told him he got a deal. Rang the insurance company (tescos) to tell them the changes they said I can have up to 30% on the front one also no extra charge :D :D :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
5 Participants
thistledome
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing