MINI Cooper Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good point! In manual mode it doesn't just upshift, so you have to watch the revs! It will go onto the rev limiter to cut back and loose power, but it can't be good for the trans. I have done this a few times, and it seems to take the trans a while to recover.

I think it is like the learning of your driving style by the cars computer. It you are reving high, the system takes that to be your driving style. I have found that I will need to deliberately upshift the car in D mode, or it holds its lower gears at high revs. I guess it's expecting me to demand maximum performance most of the time!

Another reason I found it more comfortable to put it in D and shift as needed. On the highway I will use the kick-down by flooring the gas so I don't hold it in a lower gear too long. If I want, I can force the upshift to the hight gear from D by hitting the paddle, or gear shift. All very well controlled and snappy.:wink:

·
I could stop if I wanted
1,355 Posts
Good point! In manual mode it doesn't just upshift, so you have to watch the revs! It will go onto the rev limiter to cut back and loose power, but it can't be good for the trans. I have done this a few times, and it seems to take the trans a while to recover.
:confused: When I let mine hit 6,500 rpm in manual mode, it will upshift for me...

·
AprilWhine's Fuzzy One
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
:confused: When I let mine hit 6,500 rpm in manual mode, it will upshift for me...
You are correct. The software that controls the shift points will not allow the engine to over rev, the tranny will shift prior to redline. It will do the same on low rpms to prevent lugging, or under reving the engine. :smile:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a standard MC and am not too familiar with the automatic, but 3 years ago, I rented an automatic MC, I'm guessing an '02 or '03 and I don't remember if it was a CVT or regualr automatic. There were no paddles that I was aware of....... back then, did the auto or the CVT come with paddles?.....maybe they were there and I just missed them

·
Loves the Fuzzy One
16,525 Posts
I have a standard MC and am not too familiar with the automatic, but 3 years ago, I rented an automatic MC, I'm guessing an '02 or '03 and I don't remember if it was a CVT or regualr automatic. There were no paddles that I was aware of....... back then, did the auto or the CVT come with paddles?.....maybe they were there and I just missed them
All first gen auto Coopers had the CVT. I'm hazy on it but I think the paddles were an option with the CVT after 03. All auto MCS have paddles.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts