MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting viper strips fitted to new JCW when it arives. Im helping a friend (sign maker) to fit them at the dealers. Does anyone have any advice, hints or tips. (The stripes will be custom made, and its the first time hes done it)

I put this in the general section as tips from gen1 and gen2 owners are relivent.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hopefully this will help;

http://www.minipirate.com/How%20To's.pdf

Advises to wet them first, which will allow you to 'slide' them around into position.

·
Registered
238 Posts
+1 I bought 'self fit' stripes advertised on Mini Pirates site. I didn't anticipate just how difficult it is. I only tried to fit one small section and it's too creased to leave on. I'm going to get them done professionally, probably by Mr Pirate. Sign writing is one thing, straight stripes over compound curves is another thing entirely.

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the end of the day I think Mini Pirate would be £200 upwards, my friend who is in the game not a joe blogs will do it at cost.

Also Im based in Blackpool, its a long way to go :confused:

·
Wanted an Audi
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe your right.... just sent him a PM

It would be nice to have them on when we pick up the car tho:cool:

·
UJOC no. GB067
270 Posts
I had a stab at the self-fitting; the key advice was to take your time. It's not that easy, and if I lived within striking range of MINI Pirate, I'd definitely get it done professionally.

·
Closing door on MINI2
556 Posts
Just ordered my 3rd MINI with vipers and despite having done signwiting, bonnet stripes and racing number decals on mine and other peoples MINI's it is the one thing I would always get done by an expert. Hope they turn out great whatever way you go.

·
flashingMINI's
518 Posts
I use a lazer to project a straight line down the car, to that I have something to follow, fitting is easy when doing these "WET" use a little heat from a hair dryer on the curves and any complicated bits, this will make the vinyl stretch and shrink as you want it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would deffo subscribe to the 'get it done professionally' camp. I did my own & it was a pig of a job with the contours of the bonnet. I think Stevie Wonder would not want to come closer than 6 feet!!

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
It's sometimes worth having a go yourself - just as long as you have somewhere warm and dry to put the car while you're doing it and you have plenty of time. Patients is also a fundemental requirement!

I've fitted vinyl to three different MINIs over the years - the first was a relatively straight forward roof target. I then fitted my vipers on my PW diesel which was much more difficult. The problem is the curves and changes in direction. Any distortion in the stripes is very visible. I never did get the underside of the spoiler right but it's good enough from a couple of feet away.

My latest attempt with Mini E's car took 3 days including removing the old decals. Short days and cold metal didn't help! But she is pleased with the result and there's more to come ;)

My advice to anyone is to have a go - maybe try doing a small section that won't cost much to replace should the worst happen. Arm yourself with a hairdryer, some weak car shampoo solution and be prepared to spend at least a full day with lots of swearing. And never ever try doing it dry - once its down that's it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts