MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I know if my Tire Pressure sensor is working? Is this sensor located on the wheels or the actual tire?

·
IJ 2009 - Team 81
3,223 Posts
It's the ABS sensor, it fulfils both functions. If it wasn't working it would be letting you know via warning light, probably the ABS & runflat light together.

The system doesn't monitor pressure in the tyres but wheel speed. If one wheels rotates at a different rate to the others ithe system assumes there is a puncture and puts the warning light on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thumping or Rubbing noise

Thanks to humph for answering my first question, here goes another one. The reason I was wondering about my tire pressure sensor is because I'm trying to figure out a noise my 02 Mini Cooper S is making and thought it could be coming from low tire pressure.
When I'm going at slow speeds, doesn't matter if I'm turning or going straight I hear a thumping sound, more like something is rubbing. I've had both front and rear brakes replaced and the noise still exists. Does anyone have any idea what this is coming from?

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
Is this sensor located on the wheels or the actual tire?
On US models it depends on build date.

FAQ said:
In August 2007 the Tire Pressure Monitor System for the US market switched from indirect monitoring (using data from the ABS sensors) to direct monitoring (using data from sensors inside the wheels at the base of the valve stem).

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had the same problem on my cooper 05, When i was going really slow it wud make a thumping noise like something was rubbing. I'm not saying this is the same problem but it sounds simular. It was because there was a very small dent in my alloy where I had hit a pothole. When I changed my alloy, the noise went. Also there was no light on my tyre pressure or ABS light was not on. Maybe this might help or is something you haven't thought of!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts