MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I would please like to hear your opinion about the tires. (which ones provide better handling for the MINI COOPER, the 15' inch with the regular tires or the 16' inch with the run-flat tires, because I heard that the run-flat tires have not got very good grip.) Any other comments concerning noise and comfort would be very grateful. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ive got the run flat tyres.

Yeah traction in a straight line is a bit limited at the moment but its very icy but going round corners is still very good.

are the 15" ones better I cant tell you. But I am more than happy with the run-flats, Ive had better (only a couple of times) and had lots worse.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I have the 15" wheels and haven't really had a problem with grip.. Only when there is a bit of ice and I turn too sharp does it lose grip.

Traction control is a useful tool...

·
Registered
32 Posts
16" runflats:

traction round corners currently is ZERO - I just slid my MINI into the kerb and knackered it.

I was going exactly the same speed as the volvo in front of me, and the nissan pick-up behind me... they didn't slide, but kept traction on the same bend.

Wet grip and icy grip on the MINI appears worse that any other car.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am running a Chili with 16" GoodYear runflats, SS+ and ASC&T.

Had a Cooper Pepper for a few days with 15" alloys and no ASC&T (dont know if SS+ was fitted).

Massive difference - cant get the power down from a standstill in the Pepper - mad wheelspin in conditions where my Chili would cope without much (if any) ASC&T intervention.

Big difference in understeer too - can have a lot more fun with the 15" car as it will understeer at a moments notice where my 16" car will just grip.

Bottom line (grip wise) is - 16" have 195 tyres and 15" has 175 tyres - 16" has more rubber on the road.

Having driven my Chili (16") for 2,500 miles and a Pepper (15") for 200 Id be unhappy with 15" 175 tyres.

Dave

·
Registered
213 Posts
Tyres on 17" Wheels

I have a Cooper with 17" wheels on order, can anyone advise on how the low profile 205/45 tyres on the factory 17" wheels perform?

While looking great, I am a bit worried that they might be a little skatey on the road.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts